Jul 17, 2010, 2:51 PM EST
Manny Ramirez and Russell Martin were forced to leave Friday’s game against the Cardinals due to injury, according to Ken Gurnick of MLB.com.
Just one day after being activated from the disabled list with a hamstring injury, Ramirez left after the first half-inning due to a tight right calf muscle, the very same injury that forced him to the disabled list in late-April.
Ramirez, 38, is batting .317/.409/.516 with nine homers and 39 RBI in 186 at-bats this season. Come to think of it, we’ve probably written more about Ramirez’s various injuries than anything he has done on the field this season, if that means anything.
Martin left after an at-bat in the eighth inning due to a swollen left thumb. According to Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com, he failed to informed the team’s medical staff of the injury, even though it had been bothering him for several days.
“I remember catching a ball and kind of having a stinging sensation in
there, but I didn’t really feel it that much,” Martin said of the moment
he initially felt something after catching a particular pitch earlier
this month. “It’s always a possibility, where you mis-catch a ball or
take one off your thumb. But it kind of flared up, and that last time up
[in the eighth inning], I felt it swinging the bat.”
Martin is currently in the middle of his second straight disappointing season. The 27-year-old backstop is batting just .241 to go along with a .328 slugging percentage, five homers and 22 RBI.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)