Jul 17, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
You couldn’t have scripted it any better. There was our hero, Derek Jeter, with a chance to give the Yankees a walkoff win on the very same night that the team honored George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard. It would only be fitting, right?
Apparently Dan Wheeler is more of an improv man, because he proceeded to strike out Jeter swinging. This brought Nick Swisher to the plate with two on and two out. Swisher, who already tied the game with a solo home run off Joaquin Benoit in the bottom of the eighth inning, ripped a single to right field enabling Granderson to scamper home just ahead of the throw by Gabe Kapler, giving the Yankees a dramatic 5-4 victory.
Swisher told Brian Costello of the New York Post that the Boss would have been proud.
“I think pretty much the agenda today was ‘Win,’ ” Swisher said. “That’s
what Mr. Steinbrenner wanted us to do. That’s what, from all the things
I’ve talked to [Jeter], Posada and those guys, that’s all he ever
wanted to do. On a day like this when we celebrate his life, gotta take
him out on a ‘W.’ “
By the way, I was having a little fun with the whole Jeter angle, but I’m pretty sure that John Harper of the New York Daily News isn’t. I’m sad for him.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)