Jul 17, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
You couldn’t have scripted it any better. There was our hero, Derek Jeter, with a chance to give the Yankees a walkoff win on the very same night that the team honored George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard. It would only be fitting, right?
Apparently Dan Wheeler is more of an improv man, because he proceeded to strike out Jeter swinging. This brought Nick Swisher to the plate with two on and two out. Swisher, who already tied the game with a solo home run off Joaquin Benoit in the bottom of the eighth inning, ripped a single to right field enabling Granderson to scamper home just ahead of the throw by Gabe Kapler, giving the Yankees a dramatic 5-4 victory.
Swisher told Brian Costello of the New York Post that the Boss would have been proud.
“I think pretty much the agenda today was ‘Win,’ ” Swisher said. “That’s
what Mr. Steinbrenner wanted us to do. That’s what, from all the things
I’ve talked to [Jeter], Posada and those guys, that’s all he ever
wanted to do. On a day like this when we celebrate his life, gotta take
him out on a ‘W.’ “
By the way, I was having a little fun with the whole Jeter angle, but I’m pretty sure that John Harper of the New York Daily News isn’t. I’m sad for him.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)