Jul 17, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
You couldn’t have scripted it any better. There was our hero, Derek Jeter, with a chance to give the Yankees a walkoff win on the very same night that the team honored George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard. It would only be fitting, right?
Apparently Dan Wheeler is more of an improv man, because he proceeded to strike out Jeter swinging. This brought Nick Swisher to the plate with two on and two out. Swisher, who already tied the game with a solo home run off Joaquin Benoit in the bottom of the eighth inning, ripped a single to right field enabling Granderson to scamper home just ahead of the throw by Gabe Kapler, giving the Yankees a dramatic 5-4 victory.
Swisher told Brian Costello of the New York Post that the Boss would have been proud.
“I think pretty much the agenda today was ‘Win,’ ” Swisher said. “That’s
what Mr. Steinbrenner wanted us to do. That’s what, from all the things
I’ve talked to [Jeter], Posada and those guys, that’s all he ever
wanted to do. On a day like this when we celebrate his life, gotta take
him out on a ‘W.’ “
By the way, I was having a little fun with the whole Jeter angle, but I’m pretty sure that John Harper of the New York Daily News isn’t. I’m sad for him.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 3
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)