Jul 17, 2010, 9:48 AM EST
You couldn’t have scripted it any better. There was our hero, Derek Jeter, with a chance to give the Yankees a walkoff win on the very same night that the team honored George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard. It would only be fitting, right?
Apparently Dan Wheeler is more of an improv man, because he proceeded to strike out Jeter swinging. This brought Nick Swisher to the plate with two on and two out. Swisher, who already tied the game with a solo home run off Joaquin Benoit in the bottom of the eighth inning, ripped a single to right field enabling Granderson to scamper home just ahead of the throw by Gabe Kapler, giving the Yankees a dramatic 5-4 victory.
Swisher told Brian Costello of the New York Post that the Boss would have been proud.
“I think pretty much the agenda today was ‘Win,’ ” Swisher said. “That’s
what Mr. Steinbrenner wanted us to do. That’s what, from all the things
I’ve talked to [Jeter], Posada and those guys, that’s all he ever
wanted to do. On a day like this when we celebrate his life, gotta take
him out on a ‘W.’ “
By the way, I was having a little fun with the whole Jeter angle, but I’m pretty sure that John Harper of the New York Daily News isn’t. I’m sad for him.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)