Jul 17, 2010, 12:39 PM EDT
The Phillies have activated Placido Polanco from the 15-day disabled list, according to Martin Frank of the Wilmington News Journal. He is batting second against Randy Wells and the Cubs on Saturday afternoon.
Polanco was cleared to return after playing in minor league rehab games on Thursday and Friday. He was 3-for-3 with a double and two RBI for the GCL Phillies yesterday.
Polanco was batting .318/.349/.433 with five home runs and 27 RBI before going on the disabled list with left elbow inflammation on June 26. The hurting Phillies are batting just .224 with a .274 on-base percentage this month. Polanco’s return isn’t a cure-all and it’s not like his elbow is 100 percent, either, but he certainly represents a marked improvement over the garbage they’ve been throwing out there recently.
To make room on the roster for Polanco, the Phillies released Juan Castro.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)