Jul 17, 2010, 10:44 AM EDT
An American League source tells Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that the Mets are trying to trade Oliver Perez. In fact, they even approached the Royals about swapping Perez for Gil Meche.
Meche hasn’t pitched since May 25 due to right shoulder bursitis while Perez hasn’t appeared in a game since May 31 due to patella tendinitis in his right knee. Aside from the fact that they are both on the disabled list, Perez and Meche each make exactly $12 million in 2010 and 2011. It’s a match made in bloated contract heaven.
Don’t get too excited, though, as Rubin writes that Omar Minaya’s efforts to trade the erratic left-hander have predictably went nowhere. Perez is currently three starts into a minor league rehab assignment and unless the Mets uncover another mysterious injury or decide to just cut him loose, he’ll be back with the team by the end of the month.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (156)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)