Jul 17, 2010, 10:44 AM EDT
An American League source tells Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that the Mets are trying to trade Oliver Perez. In fact, they even approached the Royals about swapping Perez for Gil Meche.
Meche hasn’t pitched since May 25 due to right shoulder bursitis while Perez hasn’t appeared in a game since May 31 due to patella tendinitis in his right knee. Aside from the fact that they are both on the disabled list, Perez and Meche each make exactly $12 million in 2010 and 2011. It’s a match made in bloated contract heaven.
Don’t get too excited, though, as Rubin writes that Omar Minaya’s efforts to trade the erratic left-hander have predictably went nowhere. Perez is currently three starts into a minor league rehab assignment and unless the Mets uncover another mysterious injury or decide to just cut him loose, he’ll be back with the team by the end of the month.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 97
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (97)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)