Jul 17, 2010, 10:44 AM EST
An American League source tells Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that the Mets are trying to trade Oliver Perez. In fact, they even approached the Royals about swapping Perez for Gil Meche.
Meche hasn’t pitched since May 25 due to right shoulder bursitis while Perez hasn’t appeared in a game since May 31 due to patella tendinitis in his right knee. Aside from the fact that they are both on the disabled list, Perez and Meche each make exactly $12 million in 2010 and 2011. It’s a match made in bloated contract heaven.
Don’t get too excited, though, as Rubin writes that Omar Minaya’s efforts to trade the erratic left-hander have predictably went nowhere. Perez is currently three starts into a minor league rehab assignment and unless the Mets uncover another mysterious injury or decide to just cut him loose, he’ll be back with the team by the end of the month.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)