Jul 17, 2010, 10:44 AM EDT
An American League source tells Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com that the Mets are trying to trade Oliver Perez. In fact, they even approached the Royals about swapping Perez for Gil Meche.
Meche hasn’t pitched since May 25 due to right shoulder bursitis while Perez hasn’t appeared in a game since May 31 due to patella tendinitis in his right knee. Aside from the fact that they are both on the disabled list, Perez and Meche each make exactly $12 million in 2010 and 2011. It’s a match made in bloated contract heaven.
Don’t get too excited, though, as Rubin writes that Omar Minaya’s efforts to trade the erratic left-hander have predictably went nowhere. Perez is currently three starts into a minor league rehab assignment and unless the Mets uncover another mysterious injury or decide to just cut him loose, he’ll be back with the team by the end of the month.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)