Jul 18, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Marlins outfielder Chris Coghlan was knocked out of Saturday’s game against the Nationals after complaining of back pain and striking out twice in three hitless at-bats. He is not in Sunday’s lineup and, according to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, he might not return for another 3-4 days.
Coghlan won the National League Rookie of the Year Award last season by hitting .321 with a .390 on-base percentage, a .460 slugging percentage, 84 runs scored, 47 RBI and nine home runs. He’s come nowhere near that kind of success this year and checks in currently with a .263/.326/.383 batting line, five home runs and only 28 RBI in 339 at-bats. He has no hits in his last 16 at-bats and only three hits in his last 36.
The Marlins are hoping that Coghlan will have a big second half, but he’s shut down for now.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 13
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 64
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)