Jul 18, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Marlins outfielder Chris Coghlan was knocked out of Saturday’s game against the Nationals after complaining of back pain and striking out twice in three hitless at-bats. He is not in Sunday’s lineup and, according to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, he might not return for another 3-4 days.
Coghlan won the National League Rookie of the Year Award last season by hitting .321 with a .390 on-base percentage, a .460 slugging percentage, 84 runs scored, 47 RBI and nine home runs. He’s come nowhere near that kind of success this year and checks in currently with a .263/.326/.383 batting line, five home runs and only 28 RBI in 339 at-bats. He has no hits in his last 16 at-bats and only three hits in his last 36.
The Marlins are hoping that Coghlan will have a big second half, but he’s shut down for now.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 31
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 91
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 8
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (91)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)