Jul 18, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Marlins outfielder Chris Coghlan was knocked out of Saturday’s game against the Nationals after complaining of back pain and striking out twice in three hitless at-bats. He is not in Sunday’s lineup and, according to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, he might not return for another 3-4 days.
Coghlan won the National League Rookie of the Year Award last season by hitting .321 with a .390 on-base percentage, a .460 slugging percentage, 84 runs scored, 47 RBI and nine home runs. He’s come nowhere near that kind of success this year and checks in currently with a .263/.326/.383 batting line, five home runs and only 28 RBI in 339 at-bats. He has no hits in his last 16 at-bats and only three hits in his last 36.
The Marlins are hoping that Coghlan will have a big second half, but he’s shut down for now.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 0
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)