Jul 18, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Marlins outfielder Chris Coghlan was knocked out of Saturday’s game against the Nationals after complaining of back pain and striking out twice in three hitless at-bats. He is not in Sunday’s lineup and, according to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, he might not return for another 3-4 days.
Coghlan won the National League Rookie of the Year Award last season by hitting .321 with a .390 on-base percentage, a .460 slugging percentage, 84 runs scored, 47 RBI and nine home runs. He’s come nowhere near that kind of success this year and checks in currently with a .263/.326/.383 batting line, five home runs and only 28 RBI in 339 at-bats. He has no hits in his last 16 at-bats and only three hits in his last 36.
The Marlins are hoping that Coghlan will have a big second half, but he’s shut down for now.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 1
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 19
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 346
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 81
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 53
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (346)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)