Jul 18, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
Marlins outfielder Chris Coghlan was knocked out of Saturday’s game against the Nationals after complaining of back pain and striking out twice in three hitless at-bats. He is not in Sunday’s lineup and, according to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, he might not return for another 3-4 days.
Coghlan won the National League Rookie of the Year Award last season by hitting .321 with a .390 on-base percentage, a .460 slugging percentage, 84 runs scored, 47 RBI and nine home runs. He’s come nowhere near that kind of success this year and checks in currently with a .263/.326/.383 batting line, five home runs and only 28 RBI in 339 at-bats. He has no hits in his last 16 at-bats and only three hits in his last 36.
The Marlins are hoping that Coghlan will have a big second half, but he’s shut down for now.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 36
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)