Jul 18, 2010, 9:11 PM EDT
9:11 PM: Yankees GM Brian Cashman says Pettitte could be out four-to-five weeks due to the left groin strain that he suffered Sunday. This from The Journal News. Sergio Mitre, Dustin Moseley and prospect Ivan Nova are options to replace him.
5:13 PM: Pettitte has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his left groin, according to Peter Botte of the New York Daily News. Yanks manager Joe Girardi said that he’s likely to land on the disabled list.
2:48 PM: Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse reports that Pettitte has a strained left groin. He may need a 15-day stint on the disabled list.
2:44 PM: According to Erik Boland of New York’s Newsday, Yankees veteran Andy Pettitte left Sunday’s start against the Rays in the middle of the third inning due to an apparent groin injury. The lefty was ineffective before exiting, allowing six hits and three earned runs in 2.1 innings. Dave Robertson replaced him.
The Yanks currently hold a two-game lead in the American League East over Tampa Bay, but losing Pettitte for an extended period of time and having to replace him with someone from the bullpen or farm system would obviously hurt.
Pettitte is 11-2 this season with a 2.88 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP, even when you factor in Sunday’s shortened effort. He has also fanned 90 batters in 115.2 innings while issuing only 38 walks.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)