Jul 18, 2010, 9:11 PM EDT
9:11 PM: Yankees GM Brian Cashman says Pettitte could be out four-to-five weeks due to the left groin strain that he suffered Sunday. This from The Journal News. Sergio Mitre, Dustin Moseley and prospect Ivan Nova are options to replace him.
5:13 PM: Pettitte has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his left groin, according to Peter Botte of the New York Daily News. Yanks manager Joe Girardi said that he’s likely to land on the disabled list.
2:48 PM: Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse reports that Pettitte has a strained left groin. He may need a 15-day stint on the disabled list.
2:44 PM: According to Erik Boland of New York’s Newsday, Yankees veteran Andy Pettitte left Sunday’s start against the Rays in the middle of the third inning due to an apparent groin injury. The lefty was ineffective before exiting, allowing six hits and three earned runs in 2.1 innings. Dave Robertson replaced him.
The Yanks currently hold a two-game lead in the American League East over Tampa Bay, but losing Pettitte for an extended period of time and having to replace him with someone from the bullpen or farm system would obviously hurt.
Pettitte is 11-2 this season with a 2.88 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP, even when you factor in Sunday’s shortened effort. He has also fanned 90 batters in 115.2 innings while issuing only 38 walks.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)