Jul 18, 2010, 9:11 PM EST
9:11 PM: Yankees GM Brian Cashman says Pettitte could be out four-to-five weeks due to the left groin strain that he suffered Sunday. This from The Journal News. Sergio Mitre, Dustin Moseley and prospect Ivan Nova are options to replace him.
5:13 PM: Pettitte has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his left groin, according to Peter Botte of the New York Daily News. Yanks manager Joe Girardi said that he’s likely to land on the disabled list.
2:48 PM: Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse reports that Pettitte has a strained left groin. He may need a 15-day stint on the disabled list.
2:44 PM: According to Erik Boland of New York’s Newsday, Yankees veteran Andy Pettitte left Sunday’s start against the Rays in the middle of the third inning due to an apparent groin injury. The lefty was ineffective before exiting, allowing six hits and three earned runs in 2.1 innings. Dave Robertson replaced him.
The Yanks currently hold a two-game lead in the American League East over Tampa Bay, but losing Pettitte for an extended period of time and having to replace him with someone from the bullpen or farm system would obviously hurt.
Pettitte is 11-2 this season with a 2.88 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP, even when you factor in Sunday’s shortened effort. He has also fanned 90 batters in 115.2 innings while issuing only 38 walks.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)