Jul 18, 2010, 9:11 PM EDT
9:11 PM: Yankees GM Brian Cashman says Pettitte could be out four-to-five weeks due to the left groin strain that he suffered Sunday. This from The Journal News. Sergio Mitre, Dustin Moseley and prospect Ivan Nova are options to replace him.
5:13 PM: Pettitte has been diagnosed with a Grade 1 strain of his left groin, according to Peter Botte of the New York Daily News. Yanks manager Joe Girardi said that he’s likely to land on the disabled list.
2:48 PM: Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse reports that Pettitte has a strained left groin. He may need a 15-day stint on the disabled list.
2:44 PM: According to Erik Boland of New York’s Newsday, Yankees veteran Andy Pettitte left Sunday’s start against the Rays in the middle of the third inning due to an apparent groin injury. The lefty was ineffective before exiting, allowing six hits and three earned runs in 2.1 innings. Dave Robertson replaced him.
The Yanks currently hold a two-game lead in the American League East over Tampa Bay, but losing Pettitte for an extended period of time and having to replace him with someone from the bullpen or farm system would obviously hurt.
Pettitte is 11-2 this season with a 2.88 ERA and a 1.20 WHIP, even when you factor in Sunday’s shortened effort. He has also fanned 90 batters in 115.2 innings while issuing only 38 walks.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)