Jul 18, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Oswalt was hit by a line drive during Sunday’s start and had to be pulled after four innings with a bruised ankle. Get ’em next time, Roy.
1:52 PM: Astros starter Roy Oswalt has a chance to make history Sunday when he takes the PNC Park mound in Pittsburgh. The 32-year-old is sitting on 143 wins as an Astro and can tie Joe Niekro for first place on the all-time franchise victories list if the 37-54 Astros can squeak out a win against the Pirates.
Roy is mighty proud of the accomplishment, as he should be.
“You’re talking about some of the greatest pitchers who have come through
the organization,” Oswalt told Bernardo Fallas of the Houston Chronicle. “To do it in this short period of time
with names like Nolan [Ryan], [Larry] Dierker and Niekro, you’re talking about guys who
won a lot of games in the big leagues, so it puts you in good company.”
Oswalt is a candidate to be traded by the July 31 trade deadline, so this may be one of his last outings with the Astros. Through 18 starts this season he has posted a 3.08 ERA, a 1.05 WHIP and 112 strikeouts against just 33 walks. Playing on a bad Astros team, however, has led him to a 6-10 record.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)