Jul 18, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Oswalt was hit by a line drive during Sunday’s start and had to be pulled after four innings with a bruised ankle. Get ’em next time, Roy.
1:52 PM: Astros starter Roy Oswalt has a chance to make history Sunday when he takes the PNC Park mound in Pittsburgh. The 32-year-old is sitting on 143 wins as an Astro and can tie Joe Niekro for first place on the all-time franchise victories list if the 37-54 Astros can squeak out a win against the Pirates.
Roy is mighty proud of the accomplishment, as he should be.
“You’re talking about some of the greatest pitchers who have come through
the organization,” Oswalt told Bernardo Fallas of the Houston Chronicle. “To do it in this short period of time
with names like Nolan [Ryan], [Larry] Dierker and Niekro, you’re talking about guys who
won a lot of games in the big leagues, so it puts you in good company.”
Oswalt is a candidate to be traded by the July 31 trade deadline, so this may be one of his last outings with the Astros. Through 18 starts this season he has posted a 3.08 ERA, a 1.05 WHIP and 112 strikeouts against just 33 walks. Playing on a bad Astros team, however, has led him to a 6-10 record.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 14
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 21
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)