Jul 18, 2010, 1:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Oswalt was hit by a line drive during Sunday’s start and had to be pulled after four innings with a bruised ankle. Get ‘em next time, Roy.
1:52 PM: Astros starter Roy Oswalt has a chance to make history Sunday when he takes the PNC Park mound in Pittsburgh. The 32-year-old is sitting on 143 wins as an Astro and can tie Joe Niekro for first place on the all-time franchise victories list if the 37-54 Astros can squeak out a win against the Pirates.
Roy is mighty proud of the accomplishment, as he should be.
“You’re talking about some of the greatest pitchers who have come through
the organization,” Oswalt told Bernardo Fallas of the Houston Chronicle. “To do it in this short period of time
with names like Nolan [Ryan], [Larry] Dierker and Niekro, you’re talking about guys who
won a lot of games in the big leagues, so it puts you in good company.”
Oswalt is a candidate to be traded by the July 31 trade deadline, so this may be one of his last outings with the Astros. Through 18 starts this season he has posted a 3.08 ERA, a 1.05 WHIP and 112 strikeouts against just 33 walks. Playing on a bad Astros team, however, has led him to a 6-10 record.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 57
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 110
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)