Jul 18, 2010, 1:52 PM EST
UPDATE: Oswalt was hit by a line drive during Sunday’s start and had to be pulled after four innings with a bruised ankle. Get ‘em next time, Roy.
1:52 PM: Astros starter Roy Oswalt has a chance to make history Sunday when he takes the PNC Park mound in Pittsburgh. The 32-year-old is sitting on 143 wins as an Astro and can tie Joe Niekro for first place on the all-time franchise victories list if the 37-54 Astros can squeak out a win against the Pirates.
Roy is mighty proud of the accomplishment, as he should be.
“You’re talking about some of the greatest pitchers who have come through
the organization,” Oswalt told Bernardo Fallas of the Houston Chronicle. “To do it in this short period of time
with names like Nolan [Ryan], [Larry] Dierker and Niekro, you’re talking about guys who
won a lot of games in the big leagues, so it puts you in good company.”
Oswalt is a candidate to be traded by the July 31 trade deadline, so this may be one of his last outings with the Astros. Through 18 starts this season he has posted a 3.08 ERA, a 1.05 WHIP and 112 strikeouts against just 33 walks. Playing on a bad Astros team, however, has led him to a 6-10 record.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 46
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 169
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 51
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (169)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)