Jul 18, 2010, 1:52 PM EST
UPDATE: Oswalt was hit by a line drive during Sunday’s start and had to be pulled after four innings with a bruised ankle. Get ‘em next time, Roy.
1:52 PM: Astros starter Roy Oswalt has a chance to make history Sunday when he takes the PNC Park mound in Pittsburgh. The 32-year-old is sitting on 143 wins as an Astro and can tie Joe Niekro for first place on the all-time franchise victories list if the 37-54 Astros can squeak out a win against the Pirates.
Roy is mighty proud of the accomplishment, as he should be.
“You’re talking about some of the greatest pitchers who have come through
the organization,” Oswalt told Bernardo Fallas of the Houston Chronicle. “To do it in this short period of time
with names like Nolan [Ryan], [Larry] Dierker and Niekro, you’re talking about guys who
won a lot of games in the big leagues, so it puts you in good company.”
Oswalt is a candidate to be traded by the July 31 trade deadline, so this may be one of his last outings with the Astros. Through 18 starts this season he has posted a 3.08 ERA, a 1.05 WHIP and 112 strikeouts against just 33 walks. Playing on a bad Astros team, however, has led him to a 6-10 record.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (74)