Jul 18, 2010, 9:51 AM EST
The Reds, as a franchise, have enjoyed quite a breakout season. Usually an afterthought by mid-June, they currently hold a half-game lead in the National League Central over the heavily favored Cardinals. To boot, they’re even selling out games at Great American Ballpark in July.
Drew Stubbs has developed into a multi-talented threat at the top of the lineup with 17 stolen bases, 13 home runs and 46 RBI in 300 at-bats, Jay Bruce is finally showing better plate discipline, Joey Votto is leading all National Leaguers in OPS and rookie Mike Leake is 6-1 with a 3.53 ERA over his first 17 big league starts. Now let’s add Edinson Volquez to the mix.
Volquez underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in August of 2009 and has spent the last year or so rehabbing. On Saturday night in Cincinnati he made his 2010 debut against the Rockies and absolutely shut them down.
Volquez tossed six strong innings and allowed only one earned run as the Reds snagged an 8-1 victory and held off the hard-charging Cards for one more day. He struck out nine batters, allowed only three hits and issued only two walks.
It should come as no surprise, really, that Volquez looked so dominant. He was excellent on a four-game rehab assignment prior to Saturday’s big debut, and he posted a 3.21 ERA and 201 strikeouts over 196 innings back in 2008, his first year with the Reds. Now he’ll look to lift the club to its first playoff berth since 1995.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 23
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 18
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)