Jul 18, 2010, 9:51 AM EDT
The Reds, as a franchise, have enjoyed quite a breakout season. Usually an afterthought by mid-June, they currently hold a half-game lead in the National League Central over the heavily favored Cardinals. To boot, they’re even selling out games at Great American Ballpark in July.
Drew Stubbs has developed into a multi-talented threat at the top of the lineup with 17 stolen bases, 13 home runs and 46 RBI in 300 at-bats, Jay Bruce is finally showing better plate discipline, Joey Votto is leading all National Leaguers in OPS and rookie Mike Leake is 6-1 with a 3.53 ERA over his first 17 big league starts. Now let’s add Edinson Volquez to the mix.
Volquez underwent Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in August of 2009 and has spent the last year or so rehabbing. On Saturday night in Cincinnati he made his 2010 debut against the Rockies and absolutely shut them down.
Volquez tossed six strong innings and allowed only one earned run as the Reds snagged an 8-1 victory and held off the hard-charging Cards for one more day. He struck out nine batters, allowed only three hits and issued only two walks.
It should come as no surprise, really, that Volquez looked so dominant. He was excellent on a four-game rehab assignment prior to Saturday’s big debut, and he posted a 3.21 ERA and 201 strikeouts over 196 innings back in 2008, his first year with the Reds. Now he’ll look to lift the club to its first playoff berth since 1995.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 50
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 25
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)