Jul 19, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT
I missed this from late last week, but Mark Cuban — who has been denying any interest in the Rangers for a solid year now — has changed course and may now get involved in the upcoming auction:
“The economics have changed, which has gotten me interested. My lawyers are still going through everything, but the bigger point is that I now have an interest . . . As I learn more I will have a better understanding about how aggressively I will pursue the interest and whether or not I will actually make a bid come the first week of August or whenever the court sets the date for bids.”
The most interesting thing in the article are the quotes from anonymous insiders who say that Cuban is “approvable” in the eyes of Major League Baseball. While he was in on the Cubs bid a couple of years ago, there has long been a belief that Major League Baseball wants no part of him. He’s outspoken. He spends a lot of his own money. He blogs. He’s the kind of guy who Selig and his buddies simply don’t care for.
But he’s also no dummy. He suggests in the article that his interest may not be solely to bid for the team itself. Rather, he’d consider getting in on Greenberg and Ryan’s bid somehow, maybe as a “backstop.” That is, if they’ll have him. And my guess is that if they somehow come up short in the bidding or if things get stretched out and Greenberg’s financing — which some have suggested includes some fickle investors — starts to crumble, they wouldn’t mind having Cuban come in with some serious cash to seal their bid. And at this point, anything that saves Greenberg/Ryan’s bacon is good with Major League Baseball.
My question is this: if Mark Cuban comes in as a minority owner in a Greenberg/Ryan ownership group, how long does he stay a minority owner? Because you can say a lot of things about Mark Cuban, but one thing you can’t say is that he gets off on being someone’s silent partner.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)