Because things aren't crazy enough: Mark Cuban may get in on the Rangers now

Jul 19, 2010, 11:14 AM EDT

I missed this from late last week, but Mark Cuban — who has been denying any interest in the Rangers for a solid year now — has changed course and may now get involved in the upcoming auction:

“The economics have changed, which has gotten me interested. My lawyers are still going through everything, but the bigger point is that I now have an interest . . . As I learn more I will have a better understanding about how aggressively I will pursue the interest and whether or not I will actually make a bid come the first week of August or whenever the court sets the date for bids.”

The most interesting thing in the article are the quotes from anonymous insiders who say that Cuban is “approvable” in the eyes of Major League Baseball.  While he was in on the Cubs bid a couple of years ago, there has long been a belief that Major League Baseball wants no part of him. He’s outspoken. He spends a lot of his own money. He blogs. He’s the kind of guy who Selig and his buddies simply don’t care for.

But he’s also no dummy. He suggests in the article that his interest may not be solely to bid for the team itself. Rather, he’d consider getting in on Greenberg and Ryan’s bid somehow, maybe as a “backstop.” That is, if they’ll have him.  And my guess is that if they somehow come up short in the bidding or if things get stretched out and Greenberg’s financing — which some have suggested includes some fickle investors — starts to crumble, they wouldn’t mind having Cuban come in with some serious cash to seal their bid. And at this point, anything that saves Greenberg/Ryan’s bacon is good with Major League Baseball.

My question is this: if Mark Cuban comes in as a minority owner in a Greenberg/Ryan ownership group, how long does he stay a minority owner? Because you can say a lot of things about Mark Cuban, but one thing you can’t say is that he gets off on being someone’s silent partner.

1. Old Gator - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM

Oh my god said the sargent.
    ….Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

2. YankeesfanLen - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Minority partner, struggling team (financially), maybe a flamboyant type might help. HMMMM……….

3. MG19 - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:46 AM

dude that picture is creepy. he kinda looks like “robin” without the mask

4. APBA Guy - Jul 19, 2010 at 12:27 PM

He should ask some of Steinbrenner’s old minority investors how much they enjoyed being “silent” partners. I can’t see Cuban as silent, ever.

5. scatterbrian - Jul 19, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Is that eyeliner? He reminds me of the mayor of Gotham.

6. AnClar - Jul 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I appreciate Mark Cuban, HOWEVER, he has the kind of personality that tends to rub people the wrong way. He is constantly butting heads with the NBA refs and execs. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes the things he says are accurate and he’s the only one with the nerve to say ‘em, but his drama gets old after a while. The last thing the Rangers need at this point in my opinion is an attention-hound who will divert focus from the ultimate goal…winning a World Series. Look at the Mavs….poised to win it all against the Heat, then a colossal collapse. Ever since then the’ve been eliminated from the playoffs early. This is not totally the owner’s fault, but it is at least partly his fault. I worry that we’ll get that distracting mojo in the Rangers locker room if Cuban gets involved with the team.

7. Omega in Colorado - Jul 19, 2010 at 3:19 PM

The man is no dummy, as this posting states. Look what he has done with the Mavericks, he turned around the ‘Junior Varsity’ of the NBA into perenial (I apologize for my spelling) playoff contendors. I think he would be good for the Rangers, and good for MLB overall. Shake up ‘Selig and his buddies’ a little, the game is about due for a generational shift now that Mr. Steinbrenner is gone, MLB needs a new personality to take his place.

8. RichardInBigD - Jul 19, 2010 at 3:43 PM

I was listening to the Ticket when Mark originally made these comments. Just about every host since then has had PLENTY to say about it, almost all of it good. The feeling is, that Cuban is an absurd Mavericks freaky fan, from childhood, and therefore a basketball fan, too. He acts the way he does with the Mavs because of his feelings for the team. He seeks involvement with the Greenberg/Ryan group not because he feels the same way about the Rangers, or baseball, but because he would like to help enable someone (the group) that DOES feel the same way as he does to secure ownership (although they tend to exhibit this fanatacism in the traditionally more reserved manner of baseball). They tend to feel that he won’t be as high profile, but he will always continue to be interested and supportive. That being the case, I’m all for it, and I think MLB would go along in order to keep Ryan involved…
    Personally, as a long frustrated Rangers fan, living in Dallas, and knowing what Mark Cuban and Nolan Ryan can each do individually, I would find it crazy exciting to see what they could do together…
    and @ AnClar – No worries about the Rangers not going all the way because they have Cuban as an owner. Unlike the NBA, MLB games do not have their outcomes predetermined by the league office based on how the commissioner feels about a particular team, city, media market or owner….

9. AnClar - Jul 19, 2010 at 4:24 PM

@ Richard…given your scenario it could work. Low-key being the operative dynamic….and boy ain’t it the truth about NBA outcomes. Hopefully the Black Sox debacle way back when was the last major MLB scandal….at least about fixing outcomes.

10. bigtrav425 - Jul 19, 2010 at 8:55 PM