Former Jays' GM J.P. Ricciardi says two interesting things

Jul 19, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT

I was never a fan of J.P. Ricciardi the general manager, but I think I can get behind J.P. the talking head. He was on WEEI today, and said a couple of interesting things. First, on PEDs:

We had a suspicion of who all of a sudden got bigger, who got stronger, I
mean I could name you 10 players, I won’t, but name you 10 players that
we had that all of a sudden, wow. In a three-month offseason a guy
gained that much weight, got that much muscle, got that much stronger
and not only on our team, but on other teams and vice versa . . . We were all guilty of it. Every single one of us signed a player or got
involved with a player that we bought into what he was doing at 32 and
33 and then found out after we got him for a couple years that obviously
the testing came in and we saw the repercussions of it.

I’ve heard some executives talk about the clubs’ complicity in PED-use, but I don’t recall any of them putting it so starkly.  The other thing he said involved transactions. Specifically, he was asked to talk about a deal he was a part of that we as fans never heard about:

I had a trade done a couple of years ago where the trade was
finalized, I won’t mention the players, but a pretty prominent player.
Had him traded, everything was all set, told the president this is what
we are trying to do, kept him in the loop. I went back, already signed
off with the team, I said, I’ll just get right back to finalize, let me
run it by my president.

I went and told the president and the president told me, You know
what, I’m a really big fan of that guy, and I think the fans are, too. I
think if we trade him, we’re really going to catch it. And I said, OK,
it’s your call. I said I recommend we do this, but he said no, and we
didn’t trade him and the guy we could have traded him for is absolutely
tearing it up right now.

Based on stuff I’ve heard in the past about how it was Toronto’s ownership who insisted that the Jays first hold on to and then sign the guy, every fiber of my being wants to believe that this was Vernon Wells.  I wish Ricciardi would say who the players really were though, because this is stuff that we want to know, isn’t it?

1. ChiSoxFanPurdue - Jul 19, 2010 at 7:14 PM

This is the stuff we like to hear about. I wish he would have named names also. Writers love to hate on Vernon Wells don’t they?

2. Schlom - Jul 19, 2010 at 7:20 PM

Well, quite frankly, why would a GM care if a player took steroids? If anything it was probably encouraged. Only writers pushing deadlines (or who couldn’t come up with anything original to write about) and other players care about steroid use.

3. KWRegan - Jul 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Good evening to “hate on” Vernon Wells—he was apparently slow out of the blocks from third on a sac fly and got his run disallowed for lateness when Adam Lind got nailed at 3rd.

4. mashoaf - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:34 PM

He probably had a deal for Robinson Cano.

5. Jeremy - Jul 20, 2010 at 3:17 AM

Could this be the rumored Rios for Lincecum trade from the 2007-2008 offseason?

6. Jonny5 - Jul 20, 2010 at 8:27 AM

This is what I believed all along. Everyone knew about it, from the top to the bottom. And as soon as Managers, Owners, or MLB start talking about the evil steroids, I just roll my eyes. Yeah they’re no good, but to come out now hating on the use of the drug, when for so long you either turned your head or encouraged it is kinda lame. This is refreshing to hear for a change in regards to steroids. You know, the truth.

7. geoknows - Jul 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I don’t really think it was Wells’ fault he didn’t score before Lind was thrown out; he wasn’t that slow out of the blocks and it’s not like he’s a speed burner. The problem was that the Jays really weren’t expecting DeJesus to throw to third on the play. If Lind stays at second Wells scores.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey