HBT Weekend Wrapup

Jul 19, 2010, 8:26 AM EDT

I detoxed from the Internets this weekend, and it was good.

I needed this weekend wrapup more than usual because I’ve really been out of baseball circulation the past couple of days. My folks took my kids out to the lake on Saturday, so Mrs. Shyster and I had a nice lunch, took in a movie, did a little aimless wandering and then had a nice dinner. Yesterday we had my boy’s fifth birthday party. Over both days I was on an Internet detox regimen that, while not a total blackout, was about as unplugged as I ever get. When you spend as much time in front of a screen as I do you just gotta do that sometimes.

The upshot: I didn’t watch an inning of baseball all weekend, and really didn’t pay attention to what the hell was going on. Thank goodness, then, for D.J. and Drew who documented that which needed to be documented and allowed me to catch up quite nicely this morning. The highlights:

• Nick Swisher hit a walkoff single on the night the Yankees paid tribute to The Boss. I’m glad this event managed to bring some attention to Steinbrenner’s passing, because I was worried that people were completely missing it.
  • I’m sure a bunch of people heard about Yogi Berra falling down and thought “Oh noes! These things come in threes!”  I had breakfast with my personal mystic this morning, however, and she tells me that Yogi will not form the trio with Sheppard and Steinbrenner. She was insistent, however, that I cancel my bowling date with Joe Pepitone next Thursday.
  • Matt Kemp isn’t being dealt. Of course, the only reason we’re obligated to mention this is because someone ridiculously suggested that he was going to get dealt.

The movie, by the way, was “Inception,” which I liked a great deal. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it will likely make a lot of money and will thereby cause movie studios to try and cash in with copycat psychological thrillers, all of which will almost certainly be muddled disasters because they won’t be written and directed by Chris Nolan.

Anyway, back to baseball for me.  Let’s get on with our week.

1. Kevin R - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Come on Craig, putting money on Free Parking drags out the game. (Money doesn’t leave the game (and if you seed the Free Parking pot, extra money coming into the game) == players have more money == longer for players to go bankrupt). A lot of the stereotypes of Monopoly games taking forever, etc, come because people don’t actually play by the rules.
    (That said, Monopoly has plenty of other problems as a game, but that’s another rant.)

2. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Good point. I don’t play too much Monopoly, though, and when I do it’s long, long, drunken games with people where you kind of never want it to end.
    Dirty secret: I play a lot of Junior Monopoly with my kids. It’s a quick and very satisfying game in its own right, not just because it’s easier for the kids.

3. YankeesfanLen - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Oh, boy, are we getting into a lot of metaphors here for Yankees-Red Sox games? Maybe Junior Monopoly as being NL games as well?

4. Old Gator - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:21 AM

You really ought to be playing Ouija Scrabble with George Steinbrenner, or if drinking is your thing, with Billy Martin.

5. Josh Fisher - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I’m disappointed you didn’t mention the Hrbek/Gant incident at Target Field. :)

6. mrfloydpink - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:38 AM

I gotta say that I find it incredibly obnoxious when writers–you, Neyer, whomever–talk about all the time they took off over the weekend. I mean, first of all, it seems a little problematic in terms of your job. It’s baseball season. Do you think the New York Times’ beat writer for the White House just stops paying attention to Barack Obama for a few days when they are tired? Second, to talk about how much you needed the rest–or the ‘detox’ in your case–just rubs the wrong way. I mean, you have a pretty sweet gig. Does it really tire you out that much? Maybe you should try construction work sometime. Or nursing. Or something that’s, you know, hard.

7. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:48 AM

You’re right. I totally should not have spent the weekend taking my wife out to dinner and a movie and I should have told my five year-old son to wait until November for his birthday party.
    I apologize. Hopefully, going forward, I can at least attempt to live up to the standards you have placed upon me.

8. Old Gator - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Can you imagine how pissed off Mr. Pink or whatever he is would be if he knew that I took the weekend off from being retired?

9. Mr. Heyward - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:43 AM

Craig, I fully expect you to attend every single baseball game played in person. No excuses.
    Also, you clearly have as good taste in film directors as you do in baseball teams. In fact, perhaps Nolan is the Braves of film directors. He does usually put out a great product that is predominately home grown.

10. Utley's hair - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Damn, Craig. Don’t you know that being a ratty robe wearing, basement dwelling blogger doesn’t allow you to have a life?!?!?

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet