Jul 19, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
The American Century Celebrity Golf Championship is a — duh — celebrity golf tournament that the good people at NBC happen to broadcast and sponsor and everything. It went down in Lake Tahoe this past weekend and, as usual, a lot of ex-baseball players participated.
The bosses didn’t let me go though, presumably because John Smoltz and Greg Maddux were involved this year and they didn’t want me going all Chris Farley on them (“remember that time you guys won the World Series. That was awesome!”). Probably good for another reason too, because I’m not sure I would have been able to avoid taunting Smoltz just a wee little bit after it was all over yesterday.
Why? A little birdie tells me that, last week, Smoltz — who is an outstanding golfer — was at 15-1 to win it on the big board at Harrah’s. Before the tournament started, however, he went off at 1-1. Why? Partially because a lot of people thought he might win it. Partially, however, because he put a whole bunch of money on himself to win it.
Sadly, however, he didn’t. He started off slow on Friday and wasn’t able to come all the way back. Billy Joe Tolliver won it. Smoltz and Tony Romo tied for second.
On the bright side, if Smoltz changes his mind about retiring from baseball, any prospective employer can secure themselves with the knowledge that Smoltz still has the utmost confidence in his own abilities.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)