Jul 19, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
The American Century Celebrity Golf Championship is a — duh — celebrity golf tournament that the good people at NBC happen to broadcast and sponsor and everything. It went down in Lake Tahoe this past weekend and, as usual, a lot of ex-baseball players participated.
The bosses didn’t let me go though, presumably because John Smoltz and Greg Maddux were involved this year and they didn’t want me going all Chris Farley on them (“remember that time you guys won the World Series. That was awesome!”). Probably good for another reason too, because I’m not sure I would have been able to avoid taunting Smoltz just a wee little bit after it was all over yesterday.
Why? A little birdie tells me that, last week, Smoltz — who is an outstanding golfer — was at 15-1 to win it on the big board at Harrah’s. Before the tournament started, however, he went off at 1-1. Why? Partially because a lot of people thought he might win it. Partially, however, because he put a whole bunch of money on himself to win it.
Sadly, however, he didn’t. He started off slow on Friday and wasn’t able to come all the way back. Billy Joe Tolliver won it. Smoltz and Tony Romo tied for second.
On the bright side, if Smoltz changes his mind about retiring from baseball, any prospective employer can secure themselves with the knowledge that Smoltz still has the utmost confidence in his own abilities.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)