Jul 19, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
The American Century Celebrity Golf Championship is a — duh — celebrity golf tournament that the good people at NBC happen to broadcast and sponsor and everything. It went down in Lake Tahoe this past weekend and, as usual, a lot of ex-baseball players participated.
The bosses didn’t let me go though, presumably because John Smoltz and Greg Maddux were involved this year and they didn’t want me going all Chris Farley on them (“remember that time you guys won the World Series. That was awesome!”). Probably good for another reason too, because I’m not sure I would have been able to avoid taunting Smoltz just a wee little bit after it was all over yesterday.
Why? A little birdie tells me that, last week, Smoltz — who is an outstanding golfer — was at 15-1 to win it on the big board at Harrah’s. Before the tournament started, however, he went off at 1-1. Why? Partially because a lot of people thought he might win it. Partially, however, because he put a whole bunch of money on himself to win it.
Sadly, however, he didn’t. He started off slow on Friday and wasn’t able to come all the way back. Billy Joe Tolliver won it. Smoltz and Tony Romo tied for second.
On the bright side, if Smoltz changes his mind about retiring from baseball, any prospective employer can secure themselves with the knowledge that Smoltz still has the utmost confidence in his own abilities.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)