Jul 19, 2010, 9:27 PM EDT
Justin Morneau is doubtful to join the Twins on their upcoming road trip in Baltimore and Kansas City, according to La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. The Minnesota first baseman is currently on the disabled list with a concussion and hasn’t played since taking a knee to his head while trying to break up a double play on July 7.
According to Kelly Thesier of MLB.com, Morneau is scheduled to see another head and concussion specialist on Tuesday. He is eligible to return from the disabled list on Friday, but Twins manager Ron Gardenhire cautioned that there’s still no timetable for his return.
“You talk to him, he’s groggy and he can’t do anything about it,”
Gardenhire said. “How long it’s going to last, nobody knows. The doctors
can only guess, too, with this stuff. It’s all on how the player
feels. When the symptoms leave, he can get back to baseball activity.
Concerned? Absolutely,” Gardenhire said. “I’m concerned that he gets
healthy before we even think about anything else. The big thing right
now is with him just getting healthy and them telling us, ‘OK, he’s
ready to go.’ And no one is even close to doing that right now it sounds
Morneau is batting .345/.437/.618 with 18 home runs, 56 RBI and a major-league leading 1.055 OPS in 296 at-bats this season. Michael Cuddyer, who has swung a pretty hot bat of late, will continue to fill in at first base during his absence.
The Twins open Monday’s action tied with the Tigers for second place in the American League Central, 1 1/2 games behind the White Sox.
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 5
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 3
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 4
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)