Jul 19, 2010, 9:27 PM EST
Justin Morneau is doubtful to join the Twins on their upcoming road trip in Baltimore and Kansas City, according to La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. The Minnesota first baseman is currently on the disabled list with a concussion and hasn’t played since taking a knee to his head while trying to break up a double play on July 7.
According to Kelly Thesier of MLB.com, Morneau is scheduled to see another head and concussion specialist on Tuesday. He is eligible to return from the disabled list on Friday, but Twins manager Ron Gardenhire cautioned that there’s still no timetable for his return.
“You talk to him, he’s groggy and he can’t do anything about it,”
Gardenhire said. “How long it’s going to last, nobody knows. The doctors
can only guess, too, with this stuff. It’s all on how the player
feels. When the symptoms leave, he can get back to baseball activity.
Concerned? Absolutely,” Gardenhire said. “I’m concerned that he gets
healthy before we even think about anything else. The big thing right
now is with him just getting healthy and them telling us, ‘OK, he’s
ready to go.’ And no one is even close to doing that right now it sounds
Morneau is batting .345/.437/.618 with 18 home runs, 56 RBI and a major-league leading 1.055 OPS in 296 at-bats this season. Michael Cuddyer, who has swung a pretty hot bat of late, will continue to fill in at first base during his absence.
The Twins open Monday’s action tied with the Tigers for second place in the American League Central, 1 1/2 games behind the White Sox.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 15
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)