Jul 19, 2010, 9:27 PM EDT
Justin Morneau is doubtful to join the Twins on their upcoming road trip in Baltimore and Kansas City, according to La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. The Minnesota first baseman is currently on the disabled list with a concussion and hasn’t played since taking a knee to his head while trying to break up a double play on July 7.
According to Kelly Thesier of MLB.com, Morneau is scheduled to see another head and concussion specialist on Tuesday. He is eligible to return from the disabled list on Friday, but Twins manager Ron Gardenhire cautioned that there’s still no timetable for his return.
“You talk to him, he’s groggy and he can’t do anything about it,”
Gardenhire said. “How long it’s going to last, nobody knows. The doctors
can only guess, too, with this stuff. It’s all on how the player
feels. When the symptoms leave, he can get back to baseball activity.
Concerned? Absolutely,” Gardenhire said. “I’m concerned that he gets
healthy before we even think about anything else. The big thing right
now is with him just getting healthy and them telling us, ‘OK, he’s
ready to go.’ And no one is even close to doing that right now it sounds
Morneau is batting .345/.437/.618 with 18 home runs, 56 RBI and a major-league leading 1.055 OPS in 296 at-bats this season. Michael Cuddyer, who has swung a pretty hot bat of late, will continue to fill in at first base during his absence.
The Twins open Monday’s action tied with the Tigers for second place in the American League Central, 1 1/2 games behind the White Sox.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 35
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)