Jul 19, 2010, 12:46 PM EDT
Brewers batters have been hit by an MLB-high 47 pitches this season and after the latest plunking of Prince Fielder over the weekend manager Ken Macha revealed that he’s complained to officials about the situation.
Macha said he’s spoken to former umpire and current umpiring department special assistant Bruce Froemming, and Guy Curtright of MLB.com reports that “he called for Bob Watson, MLB vice president for rules and operations, to review things personally.”
I’m all for managers sticking up for their players, but two factors make Macha’s stance seem kind of silly. First, while the Brewers lead baseball by being hit 47 times they aren’t that far ahead of the pack. In fact, the White Sox have been hit 46 times in two fewer games, so their hit-by-pitch rate is actually higher. Ozzie Guillen should probably co-sign Macha’s complaint to MLB.
Beyond that, Fielder and Rickie Weeks are the only Brewers to be hit by more than three pitches and together account for two-thirds of the team’s total. Fielder is definitely being plunked more now than in past years, but Weeks just gets hit a lot, period. He’s been plunked 17 times in 441 plate appearances, which is only slightly higher than his career rate of 14 per 441 plate appearances.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)