Jul 19, 2010, 4:48 PM EDT
I’m not sure if Ken Macha’s various complaints had anything do with it, but MLB has suspended Braves rookie reliever Jonny Venters four games for plunking Prince Fielder in the back Saturday.
Venters also threw a pitch over Fielder’s head on the previous offering after the Brewers first baseman tied the game with a homer his last time up.
Braves manager Bobby Cox has also been suspended one game for the incident, although he met with Macha the next day and reportedly smoothed things over.
Asked about the meeting afterward, Macha said: “Bobby and I are friends. We talked about the situation. Bobby understands his side, and Bobby understands my side.”
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)