Jul 19, 2010, 12:15 PM EST
We talked “should” a couple of hours ago. Now here’s the “will”: Buster Olney tweets that New York is not looking for a starting pitcher in the wake of Andy Pettitte’s injury. Rather, they are going to concentrate on improving the bench and improving the bullpen, presumably content to let the rotation play out the way it’s playing out.
This seems like a smart play to me. There’s still 12 days to reassess, but the Yankees are likely pretty confident in Sergio Mitre. He was going to be the fallback if both Joba and Phil came up snake eyes this spring, and like I said earlier today, they did win a World Series with the guy spending a quarter of the season in the rotation. No need to panic now.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 85
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)