Jul 19, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
We talked “should” a couple of hours ago. Now here’s the “will”: Buster Olney tweets that New York is not looking for a starting pitcher in the wake of Andy Pettitte’s injury. Rather, they are going to concentrate on improving the bench and improving the bullpen, presumably content to let the rotation play out the way it’s playing out.
This seems like a smart play to me. There’s still 12 days to reassess, but the Yankees are likely pretty confident in Sergio Mitre. He was going to be the fallback if both Joba and Phil came up snake eyes this spring, and like I said earlier today, they did win a World Series with the guy spending a quarter of the season in the rotation. No need to panic now.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)