Olney: the Yankees are not looking for a starting pitcher

Jul 19, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT

We talked “should” a couple of hours ago. Now here’s the “will”:  Buster Olney tweets that New York is not looking for a starting pitcher in the wake of Andy Pettitte’s injury.  Rather, they are going to concentrate on improving the bench and improving the bullpen, presumably content to let the rotation play out the way it’s playing out.

This seems like a smart play to me. There’s still 12 days to reassess, but the Yankees are likely pretty confident in Sergio Mitre.  He was going to be the fallback if both Joba and Phil came up snake eyes this spring, and like I said earlier today, they did win a World Series with the guy spending a quarter of the season in the rotation.  No need to panic now.

1. YankeesfanLen - Jul 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM

OK, I like Mitre, I’m not panicing, and I still think we’ll come up with Oswalt or someone else not named Ben Sheets.

2. Jonny5 - Jul 19, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Ok, so they only wanted Lee before Petitte was injured, now they aren’t looking?? I guess when the one guy who can shut you down consistantly hits the market, the Yankees bite….

3. Md23Rewls - Jul 19, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Well, Lee was considerably better than any other trade bait out there. The only other comparable pitcher available is Oswalt, who is an NL guy and one who is a little older.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 19, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Last time Buster commented on the Yankees and a trade for a starting pitcher, I believe his heading was “Cliff Lee to the Yankees “is just about done” Why would we listen to ANYTHING he says on the subject again?

5. YANKEES1996 - Jul 19, 2010 at 1:44 PM

I think the Yanks will be o.k. here, although Andys’ injury is ill-timed and serious it is not as bad as it could be. I don’t know how things are going to turn out but I don’t see the need to go after a starting pitcher to fill a 5 week void, if the Yanks can get a quality starter that they can add long term then o.k. but I would not be in favor of a trade to rent someone. I am pretty sure Cliff Lee is going to wind up in pinstripes after the season anyway. The bullpen help is an outstanding idea as they are probably going to log a lot of innings until Andys’ return. If I was Joe Girardi or Dave Eiland I believe I would be having a quite serious meeting with AJ Burnett today and it probably would not be a bad idea to have a sit down with Javy as well.

6. The Rabbit - Jul 19, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Len: Don’t lie. :-) You’re panicking. It means the Yankees might have to consider a different role for the BIG TOAD. Of course, if it meant a trade, I see a celebration in NJ.

7. Md23Rewls - Jul 19, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Cliff Lee to the Yankees was just about done. We can’t really blame Buster for not knowing that Seattle would get all shifty handed.

8. Pisano - Jul 19, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Rabbit , I agree with you . The toad needs to be moved , and if another team is dumb enough to trade a fourth or fifth starter for that bum , let’s do it .

Three legends off to Cooperstown