Jul 19, 2010, 10:29 AM EST
“Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls”
– Indians’ manager Lou Brown from the movie “Major League,” given presence and voice by character actor James Gammon, who passed away over the weekend.
Gammon is now drinking wine and eating the finest meats and cheeses in Baseball Valhalla with that other fabulous fictional manager, the Durham Bulls’ Joe Riggins, played by the late great Trey Wilson.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 9
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 71
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 57
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)