Quote of the Day: Lou Brown

Jul 19, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT

We honor the memory of the Indians' best manager since Tris Speaker.

“Let me get back to you, will ya, Charlie? I got a guy on the other line asking about some white walls”

– Indians’ manager Lou Brown from the movie “Major League,” given presence and voice by character actor James Gammon, who passed away over the weekend.

Gammon is now drinking wine and eating the finest meats and cheeses in Baseball Valhalla with that other fabulous fictional manager, the Durham Bulls’ Joe Riggins, played by the late great Trey Wilson.

1. Old Gator - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:54 AM

Didn’t know about the Shepherd connection, which kinda has me banging me gulliver against the wall since Shepherd’s plays are weird old favorites of mine. I’m going to have to see if there’re any Gammon performances in Shepherd plays or films available on DVD someplace.

2. aleskel - Jul 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM

“We’re outta towels”
    [one of my favorite line deliveries in any movie, ever]

3. nps6724 - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:52 AM

One of the best managers in fictional baseball history. Always loved him in both Major Leagues.

4. SouthofHeaven - Jul 19, 2010 at 11:56 AM

YES!!! Awesome, thanks Craig.
    “Well, you may run like Mays but you hit like $#!+.”

5. BC - Jul 19, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Okay Vaughn. They say you’re a pitcher, you’re sure not much of a dresser. We wear caps and sleeves on this level, son.

6. doctorfunke - Jul 19, 2010 at 1:20 PM

“Nice catch Hayes, don’t ever f’in do it again.”
    I like to think this one gets used in dugouts throughout the country.

7. imabigdog - Jul 19, 2010 at 2:05 PM

“… trade you or give you your outright release.”
    “even me?”
    “yes, even you dorn”

8. YANKEES1996 - Jul 19, 2010 at 3:27 PM

“Lou you tell this rookie I’m not about to put up with any of his s**t”, “shut up Dorn’.

9. YANKEES1996 - Jul 19, 2010 at 3:28 PM

” don’t gimme any of this Ole’ bullsh*t”!

10. Wooden U Lykteneau - Jul 19, 2010 at 3:47 PM

We won a game yesterday. If we win one today, that’s two in a row. We win one tomorrow, that’s called a winning streak. It has happened before.

11. Cantankerous - Jul 19, 2010 at 6:18 PM

I wanted the Mets to hire him as the Lou Brown character to replace Willie Randolph. I can only imagine how much better off they’d be…

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win