Jul 19, 2010, 3:32 PM EDT
Based on today’s report from MLB.com’s Mark Bowman, it’s pretty clear that the Braves are going to make one more move before the trade deadline, in all likelihood for an outfielder:
When McLouth was sidelined on June 9 with a concussion, he was hitting
just .176 with a .295 on-base percentage. In the seven rehab games he
played for Triple-A Gwinnett, the former All-Star outfielder recorded
eight hits (seven singles and one homer) in 31 at-bats.
“I think we have to be open,” Wren said. “We still have to be in that
mode of evaluating and seeing what opportunities there are. At the same
time, we need to figure out what’s the biggest thing we need.
“I just don’t know yet. That’s not being evasive. I just think we need
to let this play out a little bit.”
As Wren narrows his focus on the trade market, he and his scouts are
evaluating players who could improve his club while playing either left
field or center field. Some of the players they have evaluated include
Kansas City’s David DeJesus, Florida’s Cody Ross, Milwaukee’s Corey Hart
and Washington’s Josh Willingham.
I can’t recall a contending team with an outfield as poor as Atlanta’s is right now, and that’s even if Nate McClouth comes back with some improvement over his pre-concussion performance. And as long the names Frank Wren is considering are limited to the likes of DeJesus, Ross, Hart and Willingham — and don’t include names like “Jose Guillen” — Atlanta has a good chance of upgrading the outfield at some point in the next few days.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)