Jul 19, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
That’s what Buster Olney says one of his “talent evaluator” sources is saying. If it’s true it might explain things like the Reds exhuming the corpse of Jason Isringhausen for a tryout and the Mets giving Oliver Perez a job as a lefty specialist.
Still, there are some relievers out there who may be worth a flier. I haven’t heard any rumors about him — and God knows he’s burned people in the past — but Kyle Farnsworth is a putting up a quietly excellent season. As Aaron noted earlier today, Trevor Hoffman has turned things around of late and may be an intriguing option. We talked about Scott Downs earlier today.
Which is not to say that there’s a bumper crop of good relievers or anything, but that’s never the case, is it? Contenders are always looking for bullpen arms, and many of the most useful bullpen arms are either rebound jobs whose overall numbers don’t look good or pitchers who — at one time or another — burned someone. Such is the nature of bullpen help.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)