Jul 19, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
That’s what Buster Olney says one of his “talent evaluator” sources is saying. If it’s true it might explain things like the Reds exhuming the corpse of Jason Isringhausen for a tryout and the Mets giving Oliver Perez a job as a lefty specialist.
Still, there are some relievers out there who may be worth a flier. I haven’t heard any rumors about him — and God knows he’s burned people in the past — but Kyle Farnsworth is a putting up a quietly excellent season. As Aaron noted earlier today, Trevor Hoffman has turned things around of late and may be an intriguing option. We talked about Scott Downs earlier today.
Which is not to say that there’s a bumper crop of good relievers or anything, but that’s never the case, is it? Contenders are always looking for bullpen arms, and many of the most useful bullpen arms are either rebound jobs whose overall numbers don’t look good or pitchers who — at one time or another — burned someone. Such is the nature of bullpen help.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17