Jul 19, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
That’s what Buster Olney says one of his “talent evaluator” sources is saying. If it’s true it might explain things like the Reds exhuming the corpse of Jason Isringhausen for a tryout and the Mets giving Oliver Perez a job as a lefty specialist.
Still, there are some relievers out there who may be worth a flier. I haven’t heard any rumors about him — and God knows he’s burned people in the past — but Kyle Farnsworth is a putting up a quietly excellent season. As Aaron noted earlier today, Trevor Hoffman has turned things around of late and may be an intriguing option. We talked about Scott Downs earlier today.
Which is not to say that there’s a bumper crop of good relievers or anything, but that’s never the case, is it? Contenders are always looking for bullpen arms, and many of the most useful bullpen arms are either rebound jobs whose overall numbers don’t look good or pitchers who — at one time or another — burned someone. Such is the nature of bullpen help.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 240
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (241)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)