Jul 19, 2010, 5:30 PM EDT
That’s what Buster Olney says one of his “talent evaluator” sources is saying. If it’s true it might explain things like the Reds exhuming the corpse of Jason Isringhausen for a tryout and the Mets giving Oliver Perez a job as a lefty specialist.
Still, there are some relievers out there who may be worth a flier. I haven’t heard any rumors about him — and God knows he’s burned people in the past — but Kyle Farnsworth is a putting up a quietly excellent season. As Aaron noted earlier today, Trevor Hoffman has turned things around of late and may be an intriguing option. We talked about Scott Downs earlier today.
Which is not to say that there’s a bumper crop of good relievers or anything, but that’s never the case, is it? Contenders are always looking for bullpen arms, and many of the most useful bullpen arms are either rebound jobs whose overall numbers don’t look good or pitchers who — at one time or another — burned someone. Such is the nature of bullpen help.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 118
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 156
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 56
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (173)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (157)