Jul 19, 2010, 10:46 AM EST
Trevor Hoffman allowed three runs on May 18, blowing his fifth save in 10 chances as his ERA rose to 13.15. He was stripped of ninth-inning duties and given four days off, with 27-year-old rookie John Axford grabbing hold of the Brewers’ closer job.
Axford has converted 11-of-11 save chances with a 2.96 ERA in 27.1 innings, so Hoffman reclaiming the job hasn’t even been an issue, but the all-time saves leader has quietly gotten back on track in a low-leverage role.
Since that blown save on May 18 he’s appeared in 16 games (none of them save situations) and has allowed a run in just three of them. Hoffman has a 3.38 ERA in 16 innings, striking out 10 batters and allowing opponents to hit just .241 with one homer and a .345 slugging percentage.
None of which will get him back in the closer role, but at least the 42-year-old future Hall of Famer is pitching well enough to go out on his own terms now rather than the ugly end he was on a path for early this season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)