Jul 19, 2010, 8:29 PM EDT
Troy Tulowitzki, out since June 18 due to a fractured left wrist, is scheduled to begin a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Colorado Springs on Wednesday, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post.
Tulowitzki has been taking batting practice and fielding groundballs for the past week, but has still has a significant test ahead of him.
“It’s exciting to know that I getting this close. I need to see how it
responds to live pitching,” Tulowitzki said. “It feels good. Everything
has gone well.”
The plan, according to Renck, is for Tulowitzki to play Wednesday and Thursday with the SkySox before joining Double-A Tulsa on Saturday. He’ll spend three days with the Drillers before being re-evaluated by the team next Tuesday. Assuming all goes well, he could be back in the Rockies lineup by as soon as next Wednesday against the Pirates.
Tulowitzki was batting .306/.375/.502 with nine home runs, 34 RBI, seven stolen bases and 47 runs scored before going on the disabled list. The 25-year-old shortstop was elected to the All-Star team for the first time in his career earlier this month.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)