Jul 19, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
AOL’s Ed Price says that the Yankees and the Red Sox have “a big time interest” in Blue Jays’ reliever Scott Downs.
And he’s definitely interesting. He has a 2.56 ERA in 38.2 innings, and has a K/BB ratio of 30/8. Both the Yankees and the Red Sox could use some bullpen help, but it’s an open question as to whether the Jays would trade within the division.
Well, maybe. I think that “trade within the division” thing is used more often as a means of extracting a higher price than it is used to indicate a total unwillingness to deal. Besides, Downs is a free agent after this season, so barring some playoff race heroics, he’s not likely to stick around the AL East even if he is traded.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)