Jul 19, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
AOL’s Ed Price says that the Yankees and the Red Sox have “a big time interest” in Blue Jays’ reliever Scott Downs.
And he’s definitely interesting. He has a 2.56 ERA in 38.2 innings, and has a K/BB ratio of 30/8. Both the Yankees and the Red Sox could use some bullpen help, but it’s an open question as to whether the Jays would trade within the division.
Well, maybe. I think that “trade within the division” thing is used more often as a means of extracting a higher price than it is used to indicate a total unwillingness to deal. Besides, Downs is a free agent after this season, so barring some playoff race heroics, he’s not likely to stick around the AL East even if he is traded.
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 0
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 53
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 63
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)