Jul 20, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Ryan Sweeney tried to play through a knee injury, receiving a cortisone shot and platelet-rich injections within the past two weeks, but ultimately decided to undergo season-ending surgery.
A couple different doctors looked at the knee and it wasn’t a matter of if I needed the surgery. It was a matter of when I was going to get it. So we just had to make that decision. I just felt like I’m a young player and to try to finish the year and play in pain, then get it done after the season and miss parts of next year, that’s not what I want to do. I don’t want to miss any of next year. It’s just one of those things I knew I needed to get done now.
He’s expected to need 4-6 months of rehab and Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that Sweeney may yet opt for surgery on his other knee as long as he’s sidelined anyway.
Sweeney leads the A’s with a .294 batting average, but has just one homer in 331 plate appearances and has managed a measly .386 slugging percentage through 1,382 career trips to the plate. Despite the lack of power he’s been valuable thanks to getting on base at a solid clip and playing very good defense, so how his range recovers from going under the knife will be key for the 25-year-old’s long-term outlook.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)