Jul 20, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Ryan Sweeney tried to play through a knee injury, receiving a cortisone shot and platelet-rich injections within the past two weeks, but ultimately decided to undergo season-ending surgery.
A couple different doctors looked at the knee and it wasn’t a matter of if I needed the surgery. It was a matter of when I was going to get it. So we just had to make that decision. I just felt like I’m a young player and to try to finish the year and play in pain, then get it done after the season and miss parts of next year, that’s not what I want to do. I don’t want to miss any of next year. It’s just one of those things I knew I needed to get done now.
He’s expected to need 4-6 months of rehab and Jane Lee of MLB.com reports that Sweeney may yet opt for surgery on his other knee as long as he’s sidelined anyway.
Sweeney leads the A’s with a .294 batting average, but has just one homer in 331 plate appearances and has managed a measly .386 slugging percentage through 1,382 career trips to the plate. Despite the lack of power he’s been valuable thanks to getting on base at a solid clip and playing very good defense, so how his range recovers from going under the knife will be key for the 25-year-old’s long-term outlook.
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 0
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 3
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 31
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)