Jul 20, 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
The Tigers are suffering through a nightmare losing streak right now, and it just got worse: Brandon Inge broke a bone in his left hand after getting smacked with a Scott Feldman pitch last night and the third baseman is going to miss 4-6 weeks.
In a season when the Tigers are suffering from multiple holes in the lineup the last thing they need is to lose a guy who has given them steady production. Shortstop was already a concern, but with Inge’s loss the entire right side of the infield is in need of fixing.
Possibilities? Johnny Peralta. Mike Lowell. Ty Wigginton. The usual suspects people have mentioned. But it does seem like the Tigers are going to need to make a significant move now, not just to improve a struggling team, but to help cover for Inge’s absence.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)