Jul 20, 2010, 9:30 AM EST
The Tigers are suffering through a nightmare losing streak right now, and it just got worse: Brandon Inge broke a bone in his left hand after getting smacked with a Scott Feldman pitch last night and the third baseman is going to miss 4-6 weeks.
In a season when the Tigers are suffering from multiple holes in the lineup the last thing they need is to lose a guy who has given them steady production. Shortstop was already a concern, but with Inge’s loss the entire right side of the infield is in need of fixing.
Possibilities? Johnny Peralta. Mike Lowell. Ty Wigginton. The usual suspects people have mentioned. But it does seem like the Tigers are going to need to make a significant move now, not just to improve a struggling team, but to help cover for Inge’s absence.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)