Jul 20, 2010, 12:13 PM EST
Blue Jays All-Star catcher John Buck is drawing a lot of interest, reports Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun, with the Tigers, Red Sox, Yankees, Twins, and Phillies all scouting last night’s Royals-Jays game. Of course, take any reports based on scouting with a grain of salt, especially when teams who are perfectly set at catcher like the Twins are mentioned.
For those who do need a catcher, Buck is a fairly attractive option. He has some punch, leading regular AL catchers not named Carlos Santana in slugging percentage this year. He’s also owed less than a million bucks for the remainder of the season and will be a free agent come winter, so there’s no expensive, long term commitments involved. Perfect one night stand material, if you wish to put it in that creepy, creepy way.
The Tigers make sense in that they could use a catcher and a bat. Elliott also mentions the Red Sox and Reds, both of which make some amount of sense (though the Sox will be getting decent catchers back soon enough.
All of this still has me wondering why the Royals chose to pay Jason Kendall three times as much money as Buck ended up getting rather than just sticking with Buck after last season. In terms of both production and trade value, Buck is about a gajillion times better.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)