Jul 20, 2010, 12:13 PM EDT
Blue Jays All-Star catcher John Buck is drawing a lot of interest, reports Bob Elliott of the Toronto Sun, with the Tigers, Red Sox, Yankees, Twins, and Phillies all scouting last night’s Royals-Jays game. Of course, take any reports based on scouting with a grain of salt, especially when teams who are perfectly set at catcher like the Twins are mentioned.
For those who do need a catcher, Buck is a fairly attractive option. He has some punch, leading regular AL catchers not named Carlos Santana in slugging percentage this year. He’s also owed less than a million bucks for the remainder of the season and will be a free agent come winter, so there’s no expensive, long term commitments involved. Perfect one night stand material, if you wish to put it in that creepy, creepy way.
The Tigers make sense in that they could use a catcher and a bat. Elliott also mentions the Red Sox and Reds, both of which make some amount of sense (though the Sox will be getting decent catchers back soon enough.
All of this still has me wondering why the Royals chose to pay Jason Kendall three times as much money as Buck ended up getting rather than just sticking with Buck after last season. In terms of both production and trade value, Buck is about a gajillion times better.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)