Jul 20, 2010, 9:14 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after an MRI revealed a severe strain in his right calf, according to Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com. It’s his third trip to the disabled list this season and his second this month.
Ramirez was backdated to July 17, meaning that he would be eligible to return from the disabled list on August 1, but Jackson reports that Ramirez is expected to miss three to four weeks.
“It’s a significant strain,” Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. “That would
explain why it wasn’t going away.”
Ramirez had a previous stint on the disabled list with a right calf injury in late April, however the team says the two injuries are not related. Limited to just 61 of the team’s 93 games this season, the 38-year-old outfielder is batting .317/.409/.516 with eight home runs, 39 RBI and a 925 OPS over 186 at-bats.
With Reed Johnson also on the disabled list, Xavier Paul, Garret Anderson and Jamey Carroll are expected to play left field in Ramirez’s absence. Paul is batting second against Tim Lincecum on Tuesday night.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 0
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 5
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 24
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 29
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (183)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)