Jul 20, 2010, 9:14 PM EST
Manny Ramirez was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after an MRI revealed a severe strain in his right calf, according to Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com. It’s his third trip to the disabled list this season and his second this month.
Ramirez was backdated to July 17, meaning that he would be eligible to return from the disabled list on August 1, but Jackson reports that Ramirez is expected to miss three to four weeks.
“It’s a significant strain,” Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. “That would
explain why it wasn’t going away.”
Ramirez had a previous stint on the disabled list with a right calf injury in late April, however the team says the two injuries are not related. Limited to just 61 of the team’s 93 games this season, the 38-year-old outfielder is batting .317/.409/.516 with eight home runs, 39 RBI and a 925 OPS over 186 at-bats.
With Reed Johnson also on the disabled list, Xavier Paul, Garret Anderson and Jamey Carroll are expected to play left field in Ramirez’s absence. Paul is batting second against Tim Lincecum on Tuesday night.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)