Jul 20, 2010, 9:14 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after an MRI revealed a severe strain in his right calf, according to Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com. It’s his third trip to the disabled list this season and his second this month.
Ramirez was backdated to July 17, meaning that he would be eligible to return from the disabled list on August 1, but Jackson reports that Ramirez is expected to miss three to four weeks.
“It’s a significant strain,” Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. “That would
explain why it wasn’t going away.”
Ramirez had a previous stint on the disabled list with a right calf injury in late April, however the team says the two injuries are not related. Limited to just 61 of the team’s 93 games this season, the 38-year-old outfielder is batting .317/.409/.516 with eight home runs, 39 RBI and a 925 OPS over 186 at-bats.
With Reed Johnson also on the disabled list, Xavier Paul, Garret Anderson and Jamey Carroll are expected to play left field in Ramirez’s absence. Paul is batting second against Tim Lincecum on Tuesday night.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 13
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 41
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)