Jul 20, 2010, 9:14 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after an MRI revealed a severe strain in his right calf, according to Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com. It’s his third trip to the disabled list this season and his second this month.
Ramirez was backdated to July 17, meaning that he would be eligible to return from the disabled list on August 1, but Jackson reports that Ramirez is expected to miss three to four weeks.
“It’s a significant strain,” Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. “That would
explain why it wasn’t going away.”
Ramirez had a previous stint on the disabled list with a right calf injury in late April, however the team says the two injuries are not related. Limited to just 61 of the team’s 93 games this season, the 38-year-old outfielder is batting .317/.409/.516 with eight home runs, 39 RBI and a 925 OPS over 186 at-bats.
With Reed Johnson also on the disabled list, Xavier Paul, Garret Anderson and Jamey Carroll are expected to play left field in Ramirez’s absence. Paul is batting second against Tim Lincecum on Tuesday night.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 3
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 17
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 213
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (216)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)