Jul 20, 2010, 9:14 PM EDT
Manny Ramirez was placed on the 15-day disabled list Tuesday after an MRI revealed a severe strain in his right calf, according to Tony Jackson of ESPNLosAngeles.com. It’s his third trip to the disabled list this season and his second this month.
Ramirez was backdated to July 17, meaning that he would be eligible to return from the disabled list on August 1, but Jackson reports that Ramirez is expected to miss three to four weeks.
“It’s a significant strain,” Dodgers manager Joe Torre said. “That would
explain why it wasn’t going away.”
Ramirez had a previous stint on the disabled list with a right calf injury in late April, however the team says the two injuries are not related. Limited to just 61 of the team’s 93 games this season, the 38-year-old outfielder is batting .317/.409/.516 with eight home runs, 39 RBI and a 925 OPS over 186 at-bats.
With Reed Johnson also on the disabled list, Xavier Paul, Garret Anderson and Jamey Carroll are expected to play left field in Ramirez’s absence. Paul is batting second against Tim Lincecum on Tuesday night.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 15
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)