McCarver apologizes for the Nazi/Commie reference, is still wrong about the Yankees

Jul 20, 2010, 8:20 AM EDT

McCarver calls Saturday's comments "inappropriate" but then says something arguably creepier.

Good for Tim McCarver for realizing that his comparison of the Yankees to Nazi Germany and Stalin’s Soviet Union was a bit much:

McCarver, a close friend of Torre’s, said Monday in an interview from
Florida that his analogies between the Yankees and the Third Reich and
Stalin’s Soviet Union were “inappropriate.”

Bad for McCarver for still beating the Yankees-need-to-do-more-to-honor-Joe-Torre drum:

But he added, “In my opinion, the underlying point here remains true:
Yankees management has erased Joe Torre from their history.” He said, “I
don’t think the Yankees have embraced the image of Joe Torre.”

I think the funniest thing about all of this is that McCarver’s particular choice of words here — “embrace the image” — puts more fascist/Stalinist imagery in my head than airbrushing people out of pictures does. I get this feeling that McCarver won’t be happy unless there are large, teeming crowds holding up giant images of Torre’s head with the words “Our Dear Leader” under it while Torre waves from a balcony in a military uniform, basking in the cult of personality that the Yankees have created for him.

OK, really all McCarver wants the Yankees to do is to retire Torre’s number: “Retiring his number would mean embracing his legacy,” he said.  I don’t suppose this is insane — the Yankees retired Yogi Berra’s number when he was managing the Mets — but it’s not like Berra (a) wrote a tell-all book before then; or (b) only had his legacy as a manager to justify his number being retired. Billy Martin’s number was retired before he was done managing too, but he wasn’t managing anyone else at the time.

Maybe Casey Stengel is the most appropriate example. His number was retired in 1970, after he was done managing but before he kicked the bucket. If that treatment was good enough for him, it’s probably good enough for Torre, no?

1. Paper Lions - Jul 20, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Retiring the number of managers is like putting owners in the HOF, out of proportion with their contribution.

2. Old Gator - Jul 20, 2010 at 8:50 AM

I think Torre, like Yogi, has the playing stats to back up his managerial record. Doesn’t he still hold the alltime record for grounding into double plays in a single game?

3. Paper Lions - Jul 20, 2010 at 8:58 AM

Torre never played for the Yankees. I don’t think they’ll be taking his playing days with the Braves and Cardinals into account when deciding whether or not to retire his number….as a Yankee, but I could be wrong.

4. YankeesfanLen - Jul 20, 2010 at 9:09 AM

Gator, maybe I’m only thinking recent numbers here, but the DP in my mind is Jeter’s to lose. Why else is he lead-off now? Joe’s day will come by the 2017 Old Timers Day he’ll be there with bells on. What’s McCarver’s rush?

5. Old Gator - Jul 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM

He played for the Mutts as well, which is where he set that double play record. I was being disingenuous.

6. BC - Jul 20, 2010 at 11:34 AM

I am SO praying for McCarver to just say something completely stupid or libelous and get himself canned. Maybe someone at TMZ can pull a “Jimmy The Greek” on him, get him all liquored up and goad him into saying something stupid. I mean, stupider than normal.

7. BigBBFan - Jul 20, 2010 at 12:08 PM

McCarver is a sour, vindinctive indvidual who labors under the assumption that the average baseball fan gives a you know what about his rantings.
    He truly justifies the old saying “if I want your opionion I’ll beat it out of you”. I am as big a baseball fan as you can find, but when he is part of the announcer team I turn the TV off.

8. Jimee Johnson - Jul 20, 2010 at 12:39 PM

The Yankees are not Nazis or Commies; however, they are an Evil Empire!

9. Jimsjam33 - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Much adoo about absolutely nothing !

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3279)