Jul 20, 2010, 11:31 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said he is not close to a trade. In addition, Rosenthal reports that the Diamondbacks Astros, A’s are not close to a trade, either. In other words, it’s probably safe to go to bed now.
10:55 PM: Stark hears that the Phillies have spent “a lot of time” exploring a deal for Oswalt.
10:41 PM: Things are about to get very interesting.
According to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com, the Phillies are currently working on a “major deal” for a starting pitcher. But as always with the Fightins, that’s not all. According to Stark, they would then move Jayson Werth in “a companion trade.”
ESPN’s Buster Olney hears the same thing and floats Roy Oswalt as a possible fit.
Oswalt fits in a lot of ways. They could make the
dollars work by moving Jayson Werth’s contract — and they’d have Oswalt
Oswalt, who turns 33 in August, is set to earn $16 million next season and either $16 million in 2012 or a $2 million buyout in 2012.
I’m guessing that this could be a way to get top prospect Domonic Brown up to the big leagues. The 22-year-old outfielder opened play Tuesday batting .360/.383/.560 with four home runs and 16 RBI over his first 75 at-bats with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)