Jul 20, 2010, 11:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said he is not close to a trade. In addition, Rosenthal reports that the Diamondbacks Astros, A’s are not close to a trade, either. In other words, it’s probably safe to go to bed now.
10:55 PM: Stark hears that the Phillies have spent “a lot of time” exploring a deal for Oswalt.
10:41 PM: Things are about to get very interesting.
According to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com, the Phillies are currently working on a “major deal” for a starting pitcher. But as always with the Fightins, that’s not all. According to Stark, they would then move Jayson Werth in “a companion trade.”
ESPN’s Buster Olney hears the same thing and floats Roy Oswalt as a possible fit.
Oswalt fits in a lot of ways. They could make the
dollars work by moving Jayson Werth’s contract — and they’d have Oswalt
Oswalt, who turns 33 in August, is set to earn $16 million next season and either $16 million in 2012 or a $2 million buyout in 2012.
I’m guessing that this could be a way to get top prospect Domonic Brown up to the big leagues. The 22-year-old outfielder opened play Tuesday batting .360/.383/.560 with four home runs and 16 RBI over his first 75 at-bats with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 21
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 68
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)