Jul 20, 2010, 11:31 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said he is not close to a trade. In addition, Rosenthal reports that the Diamondbacks Astros, A’s are not close to a trade, either. In other words, it’s probably safe to go to bed now.
10:55 PM: Stark hears that the Phillies have spent “a lot of time” exploring a deal for Oswalt.
10:41 PM: Things are about to get very interesting.
According to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com, the Phillies are currently working on a “major deal” for a starting pitcher. But as always with the Fightins, that’s not all. According to Stark, they would then move Jayson Werth in “a companion trade.”
ESPN’s Buster Olney hears the same thing and floats Roy Oswalt as a possible fit.
Oswalt fits in a lot of ways. They could make the
dollars work by moving Jayson Werth’s contract — and they’d have Oswalt
Oswalt, who turns 33 in August, is set to earn $16 million next season and either $16 million in 2012 or a $2 million buyout in 2012.
I’m guessing that this could be a way to get top prospect Domonic Brown up to the big leagues. The 22-year-old outfielder opened play Tuesday batting .360/.383/.560 with four home runs and 16 RBI over his first 75 at-bats with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)