Jul 20, 2010, 11:31 PM EST
UPDATE: According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com, Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro said he is not close to a trade. In addition, Rosenthal reports that the Diamondbacks Astros, A’s are not close to a trade, either. In other words, it’s probably safe to go to bed now.
10:55 PM: Stark hears that the Phillies have spent “a lot of time” exploring a deal for Oswalt.
10:41 PM: Things are about to get very interesting.
According to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com, the Phillies are currently working on a “major deal” for a starting pitcher. But as always with the Fightins, that’s not all. According to Stark, they would then move Jayson Werth in “a companion trade.”
ESPN’s Buster Olney hears the same thing and floats Roy Oswalt as a possible fit.
Oswalt fits in a lot of ways. They could make the
dollars work by moving Jayson Werth’s contract — and they’d have Oswalt
Oswalt, who turns 33 in August, is set to earn $16 million next season and either $16 million in 2012 or a $2 million buyout in 2012.
I’m guessing that this could be a way to get top prospect Domonic Brown up to the big leagues. The 22-year-old outfielder opened play Tuesday batting .360/.383/.560 with four home runs and 16 RBI over his first 75 at-bats with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)