Jul 20, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
Mark Saxson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that the Angels are focusing on Royals’ third baseman Alberto Callaspo as the trade deadline approaches.
Callaspo is an OK player and a fine citizen and all of that, but he’s certainly not the kind of bat the Angels need if they’re going to gain any ground on the Rangers. The problem Saxon notes, is that the Angels simply don’t have the kinds of prospects available to trade for an impact bat. If there was a team out there who could use the services of an Adam Dunn for half a season it’s the Angels, but there’s no way they can pull that off.
I think we’re going to realize pretty soon that the Angels’ season basically ended when Kendry Morales busted his ankle during that home run celebration, and everything since then has been running in place.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 96
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 71
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 44
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (98)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. (76)