Jul 20, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
Mark Saxson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that the Angels are focusing on Royals’ third baseman Alberto Callaspo as the trade deadline approaches.
Callaspo is an OK player and a fine citizen and all of that, but he’s certainly not the kind of bat the Angels need if they’re going to gain any ground on the Rangers. The problem Saxon notes, is that the Angels simply don’t have the kinds of prospects available to trade for an impact bat. If there was a team out there who could use the services of an Adam Dunn for half a season it’s the Angels, but there’s no way they can pull that off.
I think we’re going to realize pretty soon that the Angels’ season basically ended when Kendry Morales busted his ankle during that home run celebration, and everything since then has been running in place.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (94)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)