Jul 20, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
Mark Saxson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that the Angels are focusing on Royals’ third baseman Alberto Callaspo as the trade deadline approaches.
Callaspo is an OK player and a fine citizen and all of that, but he’s certainly not the kind of bat the Angels need if they’re going to gain any ground on the Rangers. The problem Saxon notes, is that the Angels simply don’t have the kinds of prospects available to trade for an impact bat. If there was a team out there who could use the services of an Adam Dunn for half a season it’s the Angels, but there’s no way they can pull that off.
I think we’re going to realize pretty soon that the Angels’ season basically ended when Kendry Morales busted his ankle during that home run celebration, and everything since then has been running in place.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)