Jul 20, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
Mark Saxson of ESPN Los Angeles reports that the Angels are focusing on Royals’ third baseman Alberto Callaspo as the trade deadline approaches.
Callaspo is an OK player and a fine citizen and all of that, but he’s certainly not the kind of bat the Angels need if they’re going to gain any ground on the Rangers. The problem Saxon notes, is that the Angels simply don’t have the kinds of prospects available to trade for an impact bat. If there was a team out there who could use the services of an Adam Dunn for half a season it’s the Angels, but there’s no way they can pull that off.
I think we’re going to realize pretty soon that the Angels’ season basically ended when Kendry Morales busted his ankle during that home run celebration, and everything since then has been running in place.
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 1
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 0
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 5
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 54
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 12
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)