Jul 20, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that the Dodgers — previously thought to be unable or unwilling to do anything at the deadline — have been “very aggressive” in pursuit of pitching, making calls about Dan Haren, Roy Oswalt, Ted Lilly, Jake Westbrook and Fausto Carmona. Brown also reports that the Dodgers are interested in the eleventeen relievers the Blue Jays are shopping.
Frankly I’d be shocked if the Dodgers landed a big name like Oswalt or Haren (and Haren may not really be available anyway). I say this both because of the apparent payroll restrictions Frank McCourt has placed on the team but also because the Dodgers probably need an ace less than they need a merely competent, reliable starter.
Sure, everyone would like an ace, but the real issue in L.A. is not the top of the rotation, where Clayton Kershaw has been pretty good most of the year, but the back end of the rotation where John Ely, Carlos Monasterios and James McDonald have been committing crimes against baseball humanity for most of the season. If they had no other holes, sure, shoot the wad on a top starter, but with bullpen and rotation needs, it’s probably better for Ned Colletti to focus on a Westbrook/Carmona type and use whatever resources he has left over to shore up the pen.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)