Jul 20, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that the Dodgers — previously thought to be unable or unwilling to do anything at the deadline — have been “very aggressive” in pursuit of pitching, making calls about Dan Haren, Roy Oswalt, Ted Lilly, Jake Westbrook and Fausto Carmona. Brown also reports that the Dodgers are interested in the eleventeen relievers the Blue Jays are shopping.
Frankly I’d be shocked if the Dodgers landed a big name like Oswalt or Haren (and Haren may not really be available anyway). I say this both because of the apparent payroll restrictions Frank McCourt has placed on the team but also because the Dodgers probably need an ace less than they need a merely competent, reliable starter.
Sure, everyone would like an ace, but the real issue in L.A. is not the top of the rotation, where Clayton Kershaw has been pretty good most of the year, but the back end of the rotation where John Ely, Carlos Monasterios and James McDonald have been committing crimes against baseball humanity for most of the season. If they had no other holes, sure, shoot the wad on a top starter, but with bullpen and rotation needs, it’s probably better for Ned Colletti to focus on a Westbrook/Carmona type and use whatever resources he has left over to shore up the pen.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 21
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 120
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (130)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (119)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)