Jul 20, 2010, 9:48 AM EST
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that the Dodgers — previously thought to be unable or unwilling to do anything at the deadline — have been “very aggressive” in pursuit of pitching, making calls about Dan Haren, Roy Oswalt, Ted Lilly, Jake Westbrook and Fausto Carmona. Brown also reports that the Dodgers are interested in the eleventeen relievers the Blue Jays are shopping.
Frankly I’d be shocked if the Dodgers landed a big name like Oswalt or Haren (and Haren may not really be available anyway). I say this both because of the apparent payroll restrictions Frank McCourt has placed on the team but also because the Dodgers probably need an ace less than they need a merely competent, reliable starter.
Sure, everyone would like an ace, but the real issue in L.A. is not the top of the rotation, where Clayton Kershaw has been pretty good most of the year, but the back end of the rotation where John Ely, Carlos Monasterios and James McDonald have been committing crimes against baseball humanity for most of the season. If they had no other holes, sure, shoot the wad on a top starter, but with bullpen and rotation needs, it’s probably better for Ned Colletti to focus on a Westbrook/Carmona type and use whatever resources he has left over to shore up the pen.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)