Jul 20, 2010, 9:48 AM EDT
Yahoo!’s Tim Brown reports that the Dodgers — previously thought to be unable or unwilling to do anything at the deadline — have been “very aggressive” in pursuit of pitching, making calls about Dan Haren, Roy Oswalt, Ted Lilly, Jake Westbrook and Fausto Carmona. Brown also reports that the Dodgers are interested in the eleventeen relievers the Blue Jays are shopping.
Frankly I’d be shocked if the Dodgers landed a big name like Oswalt or Haren (and Haren may not really be available anyway). I say this both because of the apparent payroll restrictions Frank McCourt has placed on the team but also because the Dodgers probably need an ace less than they need a merely competent, reliable starter.
Sure, everyone would like an ace, but the real issue in L.A. is not the top of the rotation, where Clayton Kershaw has been pretty good most of the year, but the back end of the rotation where John Ely, Carlos Monasterios and James McDonald have been committing crimes against baseball humanity for most of the season. If they had no other holes, sure, shoot the wad on a top starter, but with bullpen and rotation needs, it’s probably better for Ned Colletti to focus on a Westbrook/Carmona type and use whatever resources he has left over to shore up the pen.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)