Jul 20, 2010, 11:11 AM EST
Tom Krasovic reports that the Marlins are not yet done jerking around managers and potential managers and thus will interview Padres’ bench coach Ted Simmons for the skipper gig after the season is over.
Simmons has never managed full time before, but he has yo-yo’d all over major league organizational charts. He was the Pirates’ GM back when that job actually seemed like a decent gig, but stepped down due to health problems. After that he was a scout in the Indians organization and since then has been a bench coach and a non-specific front office person in Milwaukee and San Diego.
At 60 and with no real managerial track record to speak of Simmons is an odd choice. In his favor, however, is the fact that (a) he’s supposed to be really, really smart; and (b) by interviewing him the Marlins will fill their MLB-mandated minority interview. With the minority being ballplayers from the 70s who didn’t grow a mustache.
Oh, and he belongs in the Hall of Fame by the way.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)