Jul 20, 2010, 9:10 AM EST
The Mets’ surprising first half had an awful lot to do with Mike Pelfrey. He came out of the gate strong, putting up a 9-1 record with a 2.39 ERA through mid-June, and looked like a more than adequate number two behind Johan Santana.
Since then: chaos. In four starts since his last win on June 25th, Pelfrey hasn’t made it through five innings, giving up between four and seven runs in each outing. Last night was particularly brutal, with him giving up six runs in one and a third. He threw 51 pitches in the first inning. He was nibbling, throwing his offspeed stuff and basically avoiding the fastball sinker combination that gave him such success in the early going.
Last week people were saying that he was suffering from a “dead arm.” Last night both Pelfrey and Manuel said it wasn’t physical, but mental, and implied that turning things around was simply a matter of sticking with a game plan. I wouldn’t be shocked if some anonymous someone or other suggested today that Pelfrey is really injured. The night and day of his season so far would certainly support such speculation.
Whatever the case, the Mets desperately need Pelfrey to get his groove back or else their early-season hopes of making noise in the East are going to whimper and die.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 11
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 44
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)