Jul 20, 2010, 6:30 PM EDT
I fully acknowledge that the Rays’ stadium situation is terrible, but I don’t get this at all. Last month, Rays owner Stuart Sternberg said that St. Petersburg is “not viable” as a home for the Rays, that he wanted to be in Tampa and, at the very least, wanted the entire region to woo his team as if it were a gift from the heavens above.
In light of that, if you’re the mayor of St. Petersburg, how don’t you simply not say “good luck, Stu!” and see what happens? The Rays are locked in their lease. They have absolutely no leverage to extract anything out of you. Sure, it might be nice if they stayed, but as the mayor of a city with unemployment problems and other priorities, how do you spend even an ounce of time on the Rays’ problems?
Don’t ask St. Pete’s Mayor Bill Foster, because he’s in the paper today talking about various options that might make the Rays happy. He’s submitting them to the city council and then will seek the Rays’ OK.
Look, I don’t for a moment pretend to know the ins and outs of Bay Area politics, but can someone explain to me why cities routinely bend over backwards to make sports franchises happy like this?
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)