Jul 21, 2010, 11:22 AM EDT
No one had a worse April and Maya than Aramis Ramirez has, but after taking most of June off on the DL, his July has been something else. The Cubs’ third baseman is hitting .383/.406/.950 this month, with nine homers and 24 RBI. Last night was the jewel in this month’s crown, as Ramirez went 3 for 5 with three homers and seven RBI.
One of the scarier things staring the Cubs in the face these past few months has been the fact that Ramirez has a player option for 2011 to the tune of $14.6 million. It’s still not going to be joyful to pay that when the team probably needs to be tearing down and rebuilding, but at least an effective Ramirez will make that a bit easier. And until this month, there was much reason to believe that the Cubs would be seeing such a thing again.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 9
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)