Jul 21, 2010, 11:22 AM EST
No one had a worse April and Maya than Aramis Ramirez has, but after taking most of June off on the DL, his July has been something else. The Cubs’ third baseman is hitting .383/.406/.950 this month, with nine homers and 24 RBI. Last night was the jewel in this month’s crown, as Ramirez went 3 for 5 with three homers and seven RBI.
One of the scarier things staring the Cubs in the face these past few months has been the fact that Ramirez has a player option for 2011 to the tune of $14.6 million. It’s still not going to be joyful to pay that when the team probably needs to be tearing down and rebuilding, but at least an effective Ramirez will make that a bit easier. And until this month, there was much reason to believe that the Cubs would be seeing such a thing again.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 15
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 44
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 5
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 33
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)