Jul 21, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
While various Roy Oswalt trade rumors swirl, Astros owner Drayton McLane denied that the team is close to dealing the veteran right-hander:
[General manager] Ed [Wade] and I talk several times every day, but nothing’s imminent. There is no imminent trade with the Phillies or anybody else. There have been lots and lots of discussions, nothing close to a trade.
Asked by Brian McTaggart of MLB.com whether he’s been approached by the team about possibly waiving his no-trade clause for a deal, Oswalt said:
I don’t know anything about it. I really don’t. I saw it on TV this morning actually. I’ve seen a bunch of other things on TV news and whatever. Until I get told something, I don’t know. Until they come up to me, there’s really nothing I can do. I don’t want to go up to them and ask them every time something comes across the ticker. So until they come to me, I’ll just wait and see.
Oswalt is scheduled to make his next start Saturday against the Reds and that would also be his final start before the July 31 trade deadline. Perhaps fittingly, a victory would move him into a tie with Joe Niekro for the franchise record with 144 wins.
Meanwhile, according to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com Oswalt is only willing to waive the no-trade clause if the new team agrees to pick up his $16 million option for 2012
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)