Jul 21, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
While various Roy Oswalt trade rumors swirl, Astros owner Drayton McLane denied that the team is close to dealing the veteran right-hander:
[General manager] Ed [Wade] and I talk several times every day, but nothing’s imminent. There is no imminent trade with the Phillies or anybody else. There have been lots and lots of discussions, nothing close to a trade.
Asked by Brian McTaggart of MLB.com whether he’s been approached by the team about possibly waiving his no-trade clause for a deal, Oswalt said:
I don’t know anything about it. I really don’t. I saw it on TV this morning actually. I’ve seen a bunch of other things on TV news and whatever. Until I get told something, I don’t know. Until they come up to me, there’s really nothing I can do. I don’t want to go up to them and ask them every time something comes across the ticker. So until they come to me, I’ll just wait and see.
Oswalt is scheduled to make his next start Saturday against the Reds and that would also be his final start before the July 31 trade deadline. Perhaps fittingly, a victory would move him into a tie with Joe Niekro for the franchise record with 144 wins.
Meanwhile, according to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com Oswalt is only willing to waive the no-trade clause if the new team agrees to pick up his $16 million option for 2012
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (125)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)