Jul 21, 2010, 4:45 PM EDT
While various Roy Oswalt trade rumors swirl, Astros owner Drayton McLane denied that the team is close to dealing the veteran right-hander:
[General manager] Ed [Wade] and I talk several times every day, but nothing’s imminent. There is no imminent trade with the Phillies or anybody else. There have been lots and lots of discussions, nothing close to a trade.
Asked by Brian McTaggart of MLB.com whether he’s been approached by the team about possibly waiving his no-trade clause for a deal, Oswalt said:
I don’t know anything about it. I really don’t. I saw it on TV this morning actually. I’ve seen a bunch of other things on TV news and whatever. Until I get told something, I don’t know. Until they come up to me, there’s really nothing I can do. I don’t want to go up to them and ask them every time something comes across the ticker. So until they come to me, I’ll just wait and see.
Oswalt is scheduled to make his next start Saturday against the Reds and that would also be his final start before the July 31 trade deadline. Perhaps fittingly, a victory would move him into a tie with Joe Niekro for the franchise record with 144 wins.
Meanwhile, according to Jayson Stark of ESPN.com Oswalt is only willing to waive the no-trade clause if the new team agrees to pick up his $16 million option for 2012
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)