Colin Curtis gets his first major league home run in interesting fashion

Jul 21, 2010, 4:11 PM EDT

I have the Yankees-Angels game on as background noise, and something neat just happened:  Brett Gardner came to the plate in the bottom of the seventh, and got behind 0-2 to Scot Shields. Gardner didn’t like the call on strike two and was ejected for arguing balls and strikes in the middle of his at bat.  Enter Colin Curtis to finish it off.

Curtis comes in to finish off the at bat and jacks a three-run home run to right field, putting the Yankees up 10-5.

Reason number 1,203,784 baseball is better than football:  cool random crap like that happens every single day.

1. eflow03 - Jul 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM

He battled back from 0-2 to 3-2 before he hit it out, too! Pretty remarkable.

2. King Ding-A-Ling - Jul 21, 2010 at 4:16 PM

Good for Curtis. That makes for an interesting story to tell the grandkids when he’s old.
    But no way in hell baseball is better than football. I love MLB,but the NFL is king.

3. WellNow - Jul 21, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Up to this point, he’s earned that cocky smile.

4. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Jul 21, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Pffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttt…….

5. Jason @ IIATMS - Jul 21, 2010 at 4:32 PM

The fans called for a curtin call and the rest of the team had to guide him where to go to do it! fun stuff

6. Saintblitzkrieg - Jul 21, 2010 at 4:33 PM

i would love to see all of those reasons and show you how dumb some of those are and still point out that football is better then baseball.
    Granted baseball has its moments, but in the long run, football would win

7. Old Gator - Jul 21, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Well, let’s put it this way – how many reasons does Craig have that baseball is better than backandforthandbackandforthandbackandforthball? Here’s my first one: I stay awake for entire baseball games….

8. Reflex - Jul 21, 2010 at 5:08 PM

I used to consider football unwatchable. Then I realized that its completely watchable and totally exciting provided you watch it correctly. So now if I feel like a football game, what I do is I tune in the last ten minutes or so and I’ll know immediatly if it was a game worth watching. Whats more, due to endless replays, I won’t actually have missed any of the action but I’ll have skipped most of the boring parts and ass patting. There really is no such thing as a tense, nail biting football game, just looooong stretches of guys walking around and replays punctuated by a few seconds of action.
    It all made sense after that study earlier this year that demonstrated NFL games were like 8 mins of action and tons of standing around. Baseball offered a ‘compressed games’ product on thier website a couple years ago, they need to do that for football as it seems better suited for it.

9. Md23Rewls - Jul 21, 2010 at 5:14 PM

It was indeed a very cool moment, and it overshadows the fact that another umpire snapped after a seemingly innocuous moment.
    As for football v baseball, I love both sports. They appeal to different parts of my brain. Baseball appeals to the smart part of my brain. Football appeals to the part of my brain that likes to be entertained. Not that baseball isn’t entertaining or that football isn’t smart, but yeah.

10. Ditto65 - Jul 21, 2010 at 5:28 PM

I find that football is much more enjoyable if I first lube my brain with exorbitant amounts of alcohol.

11. YankeesfanLen - Jul 21, 2010 at 6:20 PM

And with that delightful 3 run smash, the Universe is the first to 500 runs scored.

12. dl3mk3 - Jul 21, 2010 at 6:40 PM

A reason that football is actually one of the worst sports to watch:
    “According to a Wall Street Journal study of four recent broadcasts, and similar estimates by researchers, the average amount of time the ball is in play on the field during an NFL game is about 11 minutes.”
    -this was done in January of this past season (2010)

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3032)