Jul 21, 2010, 9:53 AM EDT
The Roy-Oswalt-to-the-Phillies talk came pretty fast and furious last night, as did the attendant Jasyon-Werth trade chatter as well. Lost in all of that was a series of tweets from Buster Olney who has heard that a possible landing spot for Werth could be Tampa Bay.
Olney’s thinking is that moving Werth makes sense for the Philly payroll if they’re going to bring Oswalt on, though he doesn’t say how Werth is at all affordable for the Rays. Still, they need a bat and Philly seems rather hysterical right now, so it may be a good time for Tampa Bay — or anyone — to pry Werth away from the Phillies on favorable terms.
Whether this is Buster merely speculating or based on some actual intelligence is unclear, but right now I wouldn’t put anything past the Phillies, because the Braves are starting to leave them in the dust, and they’re clearly freaked.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)