Jul 21, 2010, 9:53 AM EDT
The Roy-Oswalt-to-the-Phillies talk came pretty fast and furious last night, as did the attendant Jasyon-Werth trade chatter as well. Lost in all of that was a series of tweets from Buster Olney who has heard that a possible landing spot for Werth could be Tampa Bay.
Olney’s thinking is that moving Werth makes sense for the Philly payroll if they’re going to bring Oswalt on, though he doesn’t say how Werth is at all affordable for the Rays. Still, they need a bat and Philly seems rather hysterical right now, so it may be a good time for Tampa Bay — or anyone — to pry Werth away from the Phillies on favorable terms.
Whether this is Buster merely speculating or based on some actual intelligence is unclear, but right now I wouldn’t put anything past the Phillies, because the Braves are starting to leave them in the dust, and they’re clearly freaked.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)