Jul 21, 2010, 9:53 AM EDT
The Roy-Oswalt-to-the-Phillies talk came pretty fast and furious last night, as did the attendant Jasyon-Werth trade chatter as well. Lost in all of that was a series of tweets from Buster Olney who has heard that a possible landing spot for Werth could be Tampa Bay.
Olney’s thinking is that moving Werth makes sense for the Philly payroll if they’re going to bring Oswalt on, though he doesn’t say how Werth is at all affordable for the Rays. Still, they need a bat and Philly seems rather hysterical right now, so it may be a good time for Tampa Bay — or anyone — to pry Werth away from the Phillies on favorable terms.
Whether this is Buster merely speculating or based on some actual intelligence is unclear, but right now I wouldn’t put anything past the Phillies, because the Braves are starting to leave them in the dust, and they’re clearly freaked.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- The Lester trade is a win-win 93
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 148
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (148)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (120)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)