Jul 21, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
I don’t sense any sarcasm from Buster when he says this regarding the Dodgers’ plans:
Heard this: The Dodgers think they will be able to add both a starting
pitcher and a relief pitcher before the July 31 deadline, making trades
similar to those they’ve made in recent years when they surrendered a
high-caliber prospect while asking their trade partner to pay the salary
of the player involved.
That approach landed the Dodgers Manny Ramirez who — while certainly bringing some excitement for half a season — has also caused them some headaches and cost them a ton of money. That approach also cost them Carlos Santana in the Casey Blake trade. The same Santana who even before his outrageously good start in Cleveland this year — and even before the trade — was considered one of the best prospects in all of baseball.
Dodgers’ defenders will constantly say that the McCourt/Colletti regime has brought with it lots of success in terms of playoff appearances. But it has also gutted what was once one of the best farm systems in baseball, and this kind of deal — trading youth for veterans and not replacing the talent with smart investments in terms of quality free agents or top amateur talent — has dangerously leveraged the Dodgers and has imperiled their future.
Of course, Frank McCourt knows all about over-leveraging, so this is nothing new.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 31
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 48
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)