Jul 21, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
I don’t sense any sarcasm from Buster when he says this regarding the Dodgers’ plans:
Heard this: The Dodgers think they will be able to add both a starting
pitcher and a relief pitcher before the July 31 deadline, making trades
similar to those they’ve made in recent years when they surrendered a
high-caliber prospect while asking their trade partner to pay the salary
of the player involved.
That approach landed the Dodgers Manny Ramirez who — while certainly bringing some excitement for half a season — has also caused them some headaches and cost them a ton of money. That approach also cost them Carlos Santana in the Casey Blake trade. The same Santana who even before his outrageously good start in Cleveland this year — and even before the trade — was considered one of the best prospects in all of baseball.
Dodgers’ defenders will constantly say that the McCourt/Colletti regime has brought with it lots of success in terms of playoff appearances. But it has also gutted what was once one of the best farm systems in baseball, and this kind of deal — trading youth for veterans and not replacing the talent with smart investments in terms of quality free agents or top amateur talent — has dangerously leveraged the Dodgers and has imperiled their future.
Of course, Frank McCourt knows all about over-leveraging, so this is nothing new.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 26
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 43
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)