Jul 21, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
I don’t sense any sarcasm from Buster when he says this regarding the Dodgers’ plans:
Heard this: The Dodgers think they will be able to add both a starting
pitcher and a relief pitcher before the July 31 deadline, making trades
similar to those they’ve made in recent years when they surrendered a
high-caliber prospect while asking their trade partner to pay the salary
of the player involved.
That approach landed the Dodgers Manny Ramirez who — while certainly bringing some excitement for half a season — has also caused them some headaches and cost them a ton of money. That approach also cost them Carlos Santana in the Casey Blake trade. The same Santana who even before his outrageously good start in Cleveland this year — and even before the trade — was considered one of the best prospects in all of baseball.
Dodgers’ defenders will constantly say that the McCourt/Colletti regime has brought with it lots of success in terms of playoff appearances. But it has also gutted what was once one of the best farm systems in baseball, and this kind of deal — trading youth for veterans and not replacing the talent with smart investments in terms of quality free agents or top amateur talent — has dangerously leveraged the Dodgers and has imperiled their future.
Of course, Frank McCourt knows all about over-leveraging, so this is nothing new.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 7
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 15
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)