Jul 21, 2010, 12:30 PM EDT
I don’t sense any sarcasm from Buster when he says this regarding the Dodgers’ plans:
Heard this: The Dodgers think they will be able to add both a starting
pitcher and a relief pitcher before the July 31 deadline, making trades
similar to those they’ve made in recent years when they surrendered a
high-caliber prospect while asking their trade partner to pay the salary
of the player involved.
That approach landed the Dodgers Manny Ramirez who — while certainly bringing some excitement for half a season — has also caused them some headaches and cost them a ton of money. That approach also cost them Carlos Santana in the Casey Blake trade. The same Santana who even before his outrageously good start in Cleveland this year — and even before the trade — was considered one of the best prospects in all of baseball.
Dodgers’ defenders will constantly say that the McCourt/Colletti regime has brought with it lots of success in terms of playoff appearances. But it has also gutted what was once one of the best farm systems in baseball, and this kind of deal — trading youth for veterans and not replacing the talent with smart investments in terms of quality free agents or top amateur talent — has dangerously leveraged the Dodgers and has imperiled their future.
Of course, Frank McCourt knows all about over-leveraging, so this is nothing new.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)