Jul 21, 2010, 5:45 PM EDT
Carlos Santana’s promotion to Cleveland kind of got lost in the call-up shuffle last month as Stephen Strasburg and Mike Stanton dominated the hype and headlines, but the switch-hitting catcher has been fantastic and the Indians are quietly playing much better since his arrival.
Prior to calling up Santana the Indians were 23-36, but they’ve gone 17-18 with him in the lineup as the 24-year-old acquired from the Dodgers for Casey Blake in mid-2008 has hit .282 with a .431 on-base percentage and .547 slugging percentage in 153 plate appearances.
In the minors Santana drew more walks than strikeouts while getting on base at a .401 clip, but drawing 32 walks in 153 trips to the plate is remarkable patience for a rookie getting his first taste of the big leagues. Projected over a full season of 600 plate appearances, he’s on a 125-walk pace. Gene Tenace holds the all-time walks record for catchers with 125 in 1977.
Santana has also shown excellent power, smacking six homers and 13 doubles in 117 at-bats. He never showed quite that much pop in the minors, but did average 21 homers and 34 doubles per 500 at-bats. Offensively he’s the total package, with power and patience from both sides of the plate. And he’s even thrown out 35 percent of steal attempts after struggling to control the running game at times in the minors.
He’ll no doubt go through a rough patch eventually, but Santana’s minor-league track record is nearly flawless, his approach at the plate is fantastic, and he has the potential to be a perennial MVP candidate long after Casey Blake is retired. Sorry, Dodgers fans.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)