Jul 21, 2010, 3:47 PM EDT
Jason Isringhausen threw a bullpen session in front of the Reds’ brass yesterday and general manager Walt Jocketty liked what he saw enough to offer the 37-year-old former Cardinals closer a contract.
“We’re waiting to hear back from his agent to see what he wants to do,” Jocketty told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer. “We’ll know in next day or so.” Jocketty, who was the GM in St. Louis during Isringhausen’s prime, said “he looked good” but “is a long ways from being able to pitch in a game.”
Dusty Baker said: “He looked good for a guy who’s been out a while. He looked strong.”
Pitching coach Bryan Price said: “It looks like he could go out and pitch somewhere. It didn’t take him long to get loose and ready. He looked very healthy to me.”
That somewhere will probably be Triple-A, assuming that Isringhausen accepts the Reds’ offer. He reportedly has a few other teams interested.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)