Let the record reflect that B.J. Upton hustled last night

Jul 21, 2010, 4:28 PM EDT

My virtual friend* Jonah Keri alerted me to something interesting from last night’s Rays-Orioles game. I didn’t see it live, but I just went back and watched the highlight on MLB.tv and I agree that it’s interesting enough to be worth passing along.

*While my previous professional life involved meeting real people, life as a blogger basically entails talking to people on the Internet all day. Jonah is one of those people who — if we were insurance salesmen or consultants or something — I would have met in person a long time ago, but because we’re both basically Internet baseball people, we’ve only chatted, exchanged tweets and emails, etc.  There are a lot of people I know like that, actually, and henceforth I’m just going to refer to them as my “virtual friends” until I’ve actually had the chance to meet them in person. After all, what if I met Jonah tomorrow and we hated each others’ guts on some visceral level?  Would have hated to call him my friend without knowing that!

One out, seventh inning, Rays up 8-4, runners on the corners and Miguel Tejada at bat.  Tejada hits a ball into right center that Rays’ right fielder Ben Zobrist had to run for, but totally should have caught. Instead, it hit off his glove and skipped to the warning track.  Jonah watches a lot of Rays games these days — for good reason — and says that it’s a play that Zobrist usually makes.

Zobrist goes after the ball, but it’s B.J. Upton — not Zobrist — who is, in Jonah’s words “hustling his ass off.” Upton beats Zobrist to the ball, grabs it and throws it in.

It’s a little thing in the course of a long season — and it didn’t end up saving any runs here — but how often do we hear about B.J. Upton hustling?  Never, really, but you can be damn sure that the moment he loafs he’s going to be all over ESPN and the blogs and everywhere. For that matter, if Upton just let a ball doink off his glove like Zobrist did — which did end up costing the Rays runs — I’m guessing he’d get a lot more flak for it than Zobrist did.

Again, not a big thing, but I think it’s worth noting that B.J. Upton hustled last night.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Jul 21, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Having met Jonah, it’s hard to actually like the guy. Rude, smarmy, nasty hygienic habits and, like you, a job we all wish we had. You guys would get along famously.
    /some of that description might not have been true.

2. Megary - Jul 21, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Conscience assuaged.

3. Alex Poterack - Jul 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Didn’t you get the memo from Joe Po? The proper term is “emigo”

4. Craig Calcaterra - Jul 21, 2010 at 5:06 PM

Yeah, see, I love Poz as much as the next guy, but that’s a bit too cute for my tastes.

5. kernel - Jul 21, 2010 at 5:30 PM

In other words, he did his job for once.

6. doctorfunke - Jul 22, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Are you hinting at racism again Craig?
    I’m guessing that if Zobrist ever lollygagged after a ball like Upton did the time that Longoria called him out on it, he would be getting his ass chewed out in the dugout as well. And Zobrist does not have a history of being a slouch like Upton does.
    Do we need to start keeping track of all of the white players who slag off and all of the minority(don’t want to discriminate) players who hustle? I’ll start. I saw Pudge bust his ass down the line on a grounder to short last night. I also saw Ichiro sprint back to catch a flyball. Great effort. But I can’t forget to mention when Cuddyer loafed to first on a comebacker to the mound. I didn’t notice if Hudson got in his face about it afterwords. Can’t believe no one mentioned that one.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS