Jul 21, 2010, 2:12 PM EDT
There was a big, acrimonious hearing in Fort Worth yesterday regarding the timing and procedures of the auction to sell the Rangers. Something fun happened during the hearing: some lawyer showed up and as if he were Scott Boras or someone said that he represented an “undisclosed bidder.” That bidder has turned out to be Mark Cuban.
We’ve recently talked about his interest in the team, but given how Cuban is with the media, there was some reason to suspect that he was just thinking out loud and wasn’t all that serious. That’s apparently not the case if he’s hiring lawyers to make appearances in bankruptcy court in an effort to impact when and how the auction of the Rangers will be held.
Lawyers for Chuck Greenberg and Nolan Ryan did what what they could to discount Cuban’s interest, dismissively saying he’s been “discussed for weeks,” and they’re clearly trying to spread the word in the media that Major League Baseball may not approve of him, but they have to be nervous.
Nervous if Cuban makes overtures to them about joining their group because if he does — and if they realize that, crap, they need him — the camel’s nose is under the tent and he’s going to be an active part of the ownership group whether they like it or not. Nervous because if he gets involved — and if he decides to go it on his own or with another bidder — his cash reserves will certainly out-strip anything they can muster.
The proceedings in bankruptcy court have gotten so convoluted that even I and my fancy-schmancy law degree aren’t able to really follow them anymore, but Mark Cuban represents a form of chaos, and chaos is the last thing Greenberg and Ryan need more of.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (277)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)