Jul 21, 2010, 2:12 PM EDT
There was a big, acrimonious hearing in Fort Worth yesterday regarding the timing and procedures of the auction to sell the Rangers. Something fun happened during the hearing: some lawyer showed up and as if he were Scott Boras or someone said that he represented an “undisclosed bidder.” That bidder has turned out to be Mark Cuban.
We’ve recently talked about his interest in the team, but given how Cuban is with the media, there was some reason to suspect that he was just thinking out loud and wasn’t all that serious. That’s apparently not the case if he’s hiring lawyers to make appearances in bankruptcy court in an effort to impact when and how the auction of the Rangers will be held.
Lawyers for Chuck Greenberg and Nolan Ryan did what what they could to discount Cuban’s interest, dismissively saying he’s been “discussed for weeks,” and they’re clearly trying to spread the word in the media that Major League Baseball may not approve of him, but they have to be nervous.
Nervous if Cuban makes overtures to them about joining their group because if he does — and if they realize that, crap, they need him — the camel’s nose is under the tent and he’s going to be an active part of the ownership group whether they like it or not. Nervous because if he gets involved — and if he decides to go it on his own or with another bidder — his cash reserves will certainly out-strip anything they can muster.
The proceedings in bankruptcy court have gotten so convoluted that even I and my fancy-schmancy law degree aren’t able to really follow them anymore, but Mark Cuban represents a form of chaos, and chaos is the last thing Greenberg and Ryan need more of.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)