Jul 21, 2010, 10:42 AM EST
Jake Arrieta threw over to first base as Carl Crawford took his usual lead in the first inning last night, but as the Rays left fielder stretched to get his foot back to the base the ball hit him right in the … well, let’s call it “groin.”
MLB.com has video of the play, although your day will probably go better if you skip it.
Crawford essentially reacted as if he’d been shot, going down in a heap as Ty Wigginton tagged him for the out. He then left the game and traveled via ambulance to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with a “testicular contusion.”
And believe it or not, that actually qualifies as good news.
He’s officially considered day-to-day and even felt good enough to return to the ballpark for postgame interviews, telling reporters: “It caught me square, it couldn’t have hit in a better spot.” And like Adrian Beltre last season, Crawford also admitted that he doesn’t wear a protective cup because “I do too many moves to wear a cup. I’m still not going to wear a cup. It won’t happen again.”
Crawford said it was the most pain he’s ever been in. Wigginton said he “had a pretty good idea” where the throw hit “when he didn’t move because I know one thing, Carl Crawford is one of the toughest guys I’ve ever played with.” And manager Joe Maddon said: “He’s as good as can be expected. For all us males, we understand how difficult that can be.”
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27