Ouch! Carl Crawford is day-to-day with a 'testicular contusion'

Jul 21, 2010, 10:42 AM EDT

Jake Arrieta threw over to first base as Carl Crawford took his usual lead in the first inning last night, but as the Rays left fielder stretched to get his foot back to the base the ball hit him right in the … well, let’s call it “groin.”
MLB.com has video of the play, although your day will probably go better if you skip it.
Crawford essentially reacted as if he’d been shot, going down in a heap as Ty Wigginton tagged him for the out. He then left the game and traveled via ambulance to the hospital, where he was diagnosed with a “testicular contusion.”
And believe it or not, that actually qualifies as good news.
He’s officially considered day-to-day and even felt good enough to return to the ballpark for postgame interviews, telling reporters: “It caught me square, it couldn’t have hit in a better spot.” And like Adrian Beltre last season, Crawford also admitted that he doesn’t wear a protective cup because “I do too many moves to wear a cup. I’m still not going to wear a cup. It won’t happen again.”
Crawford said it was the most pain he’s ever been in. Wigginton said he “had a pretty good idea” where the throw hit “when he didn’t move because I know one thing, Carl Crawford is one of the toughest guys I’ve ever played with.” And manager Joe Maddon said: “He’s as good as can be expected. For all us males, we understand how difficult that can be.”

1. nps6724 - Jul 21, 2010 at 10:50 AM

When will all this ball-on-ball violence end?!?!

2. Jonny5 - Jul 21, 2010 at 10:52 AM

“It caught me square, it couldn’t have hit in a better spot.” Umm, wouldn’t anywhere, such as the face be a “better spot” ?

3. Old Gator - Jul 21, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Was it Yogi who called it “a cross between the fear of death and the fear of not dying”?
    To paraphrase Mary’s dad in There’s Something About Mary, I have some logistical problems understanding how he got hit in the best possible spot by a throw from above without somehow having gotten the hot dog below the beans. Regardless, I wouldn’t care if that was Carl Everett, Milton Bradley and Carlos Zambrano rolled into one, you still gotta empathize with the guy. Ballplayers, catchers especially, are constantly at risk for this sort of thing – moreso, perhaps, than any other guys except maybe one with Italian girlfriends with PMS.

4. Dbuck - Jul 21, 2010 at 11:02 AM

The awkward 7-min conversation from the Baltimore commentators while he was still down was priceless.

5. BC - Jul 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Ow.

6. Largebill - Jul 21, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I was coaching first last year and had a similar experience. I was chatting with our baserunner. Standard stuff like number of outs, get a good secondary lead, etc. Runner was barely off the bag. Pitcher fired over and the first baseman never moved. He wasn’t paying attention and I paid the price. Missed the happy spot by at most an 1/8 of an inch. Couple days later I had a bruise that went from my crotch to a few inches above my knee

7. jimbeetle - Jul 21, 2010 at 11:44 AM

@Gator
    Yogi might call it “testicular confusion.”

8. jealy - Jul 21, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Two balls One Strike

9. geoknows - Jul 21, 2010 at 12:10 PM

“It won’t happen again”?!? Note to Carl Crawford: You know the old axiom about lightning not striking twice in the same place? It’s not true.

10. Old Gator - Jul 21, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I once heard Nicole Mitchell on the Weather Channel note that lightning can strike the same place hundreds of times. I guess if I were going to choose what struck me hundreds of times, she’d be a pretty good alternative to lightning.

11. Old Gator - Jul 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Heh, yeah. Imagine what he’d’ve called it if the Borg had cheerleaders.

12. YANKEES1996 - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM

To quote a truly classic character “You can’t just go around giving the man a shot in pills…baby!’, Austin Powers

13. bbeer - Jul 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM

no kidding. ill gladly take one to the face over my junk any day of the week.

14. ultimatecardinalwarrior - Jul 21, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Time to switch to the No-Fly Zone.

15. Schlom - Jul 21, 2010 at 3:39 PM

That was good, but I liked George C. Scott’s Oscar winning performance better.

16. Dan - Jul 21, 2010 at 5:39 PM

That’s why even outfielders need to wear protection.
    Cups – They’re Not Just For Infielders and Catchers anymore.

17. Omega in Colorado - Jul 22, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I would rather get struck by lightning then take one to the boys from a MLB pitcher. I think lightning would hurt a lot less.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic