Jul 21, 2010, 6:12 PM EDT
Mike Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Pedro Martinez has ruled out pitching in 2010. The reason: “Martinez, who will turn 39 in October, decided that he was enjoying the
time off with his family this summer too much to embark on a comeback
for the second season in a row.” However, he said that he’s “wide open” to pitching in 2011.
I guess he anticipates getting tired of spending time with his family come February. Hey, I’ve got a family and I love them, but I can see where he’s coming from.
Left unanswered in all of this is what team in their right mind is going to take a chance on a Pedro Martinez with over a year’s worth of rust on him in 2011, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 9
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 82
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (80)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)