Jul 21, 2010, 6:12 PM EST
Mike Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Pedro Martinez has ruled out pitching in 2010. The reason: “Martinez, who will turn 39 in October, decided that he was enjoying the
time off with his family this summer too much to embark on a comeback
for the second season in a row.” However, he said that he’s “wide open” to pitching in 2011.
I guess he anticipates getting tired of spending time with his family come February. Hey, I’ve got a family and I love them, but I can see where he’s coming from.
Left unanswered in all of this is what team in their right mind is going to take a chance on a Pedro Martinez with over a year’s worth of rust on him in 2011, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 14
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 59
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)