Jul 21, 2010, 6:12 PM EDT
Mike Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Pedro Martinez has ruled out pitching in 2010. The reason: “Martinez, who will turn 39 in October, decided that he was enjoying the
time off with his family this summer too much to embark on a comeback
for the second season in a row.” However, he said that he’s “wide open” to pitching in 2011.
I guess he anticipates getting tired of spending time with his family come February. Hey, I’ve got a family and I love them, but I can see where he’s coming from.
Left unanswered in all of this is what team in their right mind is going to take a chance on a Pedro Martinez with over a year’s worth of rust on him in 2011, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 0
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 3
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 61
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 29
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (155)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)