Jul 21, 2010, 6:12 PM EST
Mike Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Pedro Martinez has ruled out pitching in 2010. The reason: “Martinez, who will turn 39 in October, decided that he was enjoying the
time off with his family this summer too much to embark on a comeback
for the second season in a row.” However, he said that he’s “wide open” to pitching in 2011.
I guess he anticipates getting tired of spending time with his family come February. Hey, I’ve got a family and I love them, but I can see where he’s coming from.
Left unanswered in all of this is what team in their right mind is going to take a chance on a Pedro Martinez with over a year’s worth of rust on him in 2011, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (375)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)