Jul 21, 2010, 6:12 PM EDT
Mike Silverman of the Boston Herald reports that Pedro Martinez has ruled out pitching in 2010. The reason: “Martinez, who will turn 39 in October, decided that he was enjoying the
time off with his family this summer too much to embark on a comeback
for the second season in a row.” However, he said that he’s “wide open” to pitching in 2011.
I guess he anticipates getting tired of spending time with his family come February. Hey, I’ve got a family and I love them, but I can see where he’s coming from.
Left unanswered in all of this is what team in their right mind is going to take a chance on a Pedro Martinez with over a year’s worth of rust on him in 2011, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 10
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 14
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)