Quote of the Day: some anonymous executive slams the Phillies

Jul 21, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT

Buster Olney quotes an anonymous executive on all the Roy-Oswalt-to-the-Phillies hype:

“They’ve got real holes over there, and I know they need a starting
pitcher, but I think their lineup is as much of a
problem now. If they got two Roy
Oswalts, I’m not sure it would make a difference.”

Ouch. I mean, I hate on the Phillies a lot, but I don’t even think it’s quite that bad.

The most annoying thing about all of this for Phillies fans is that at some point they’re going to get Chase Utley back and at some point things are going to start breaking right for them.  When that happens, they’re going to look like one of those NFL teams that “no one wants to play” late in the season but that isn’t going to make the playoffs because this slide has been so bad. And because the Braves keep winning two of three like clockwork, but that’s not going to continue forever either.

Like I said this morning, the primary motivator around Philly right now seems to be panic.  That rarely leads to good decisions.  My gut tells me that, rather than ship off Jayson Werth and bring in Roy Oswalt, Philadelphia would be better served by trying to weather the current storm as best they can, wait for Werth to bounce back and try to patch their pitching holes with some spackle that is less expensive than Oswalt.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Jul 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Cholly was just on MLB on XM saying that Utley would not be back until “early September”.

2. easports82 - Jul 21, 2010 at 12:22 PM

Craig,
    Geoff Baker at the Seattle Times keeps floating Jose Lopez as trade bait because he can play two positions and has a swing that is tailor-made for that park (of course, he actually has to make contact, but let’s not get into details). Any actual legs to this tale?

3. CJ - Jul 21, 2010 at 12:27 PM

They need a top pitcher that they can control beyond this year first and foremost so they have a prayer in the playoffs. That’s the key. I’d gladly swap Werth for Brown if that’s what it takes to make it happen.
    Of course, like I said in a different post, I’m not so sure that that move alone will get them to the playoffs. When you still have 2 out of Moyer (gimpy and creaky), Happ (he of the 90 mph fastball), Kendrick (do I really have to say anything else?), and Blaton (decent as a 4, solid 5th starter), it won’t be easy to make up such a big gap.

4. MG19 - Jul 21, 2010 at 12:28 PM

that executive, if male, definitely like dudes. like loves em…were they not projected to be by far the ebst lineup in the NL this year? theyre slumping, period. just more than usual; then again, what else is new in philly?

5. BDawk - Jul 21, 2010 at 12:42 PM

Welp, Werth is gone next year and he slept with Utley’s wife, so goodbye

6. Mr. Heyward - Jul 21, 2010 at 12:57 PM

Wait, what? He slept with Utley’s wife? Tell me more…

7. dprat - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:01 PM

A minor quibble, but there’s not much for Werth to “bounce back” from. Though he hasn’t had a homer in almost a month, here’s his season line thus far:
    283/373/505
    Last year?
    268/373/506
    Looks just like the guy who went to the Series last year, no?

8. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Buster Olney has become the mouthpiece for all weasily pussy GMs who are afraid to go on the record…and he just lets them say whatever they want as long as he keeps their names out of the story. Buster, you have become a pathetic “journalist”.

9. Jonny5 - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:10 PM

Gawd, you actually believe that horsesheeit?? yeah, that happened.

10. Paper Lions - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM

I’m no Buster appologist, I was even the focus of one of his posts after I ripped his analysis once last year (or the year before that, don’t remember), but you are a bit of idiot Chris.
    All Buster does, and what he does well, is report what people are saying or what people in baseball think is going to happen. The fact that you take things people say as gospel isn’t Buster (or any journalist’s) fault.

11. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Dude, he just did a survey of 12 ANONYMOUS GMs who did nothing but rip their fellow GMs, including Brian Sabien. It sure seems to me that a GM has an opinion, he calls Buster “anonymously” and then proceeds to say whatever he wants, without the BALLS to say it on the record. Some journalists wouldn’t print something so ludicrous. Puh-leeze with your Buster apologies. You are more than just a bit of an idiot.

12. FlyEaglesFly - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Werth is gone next year. Why not have Oswalt next year if it only costs you Werth. This year is just not the Phils year. They need to find out what they have in Brown and Francisco so they know how many OF positions they need to fill this winter. I’m just not sure how they’d fit all the lefties in the lineup. Francisco doesn’t strike me as a 5 hole hitter. Otherwise, trade Werth for a high level prospect.

13. Megary - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:21 PM

1/2 season of Werth for 2-1/2 seasons of Oswalt?
    Or are there other details to this “trade” that you know of, Craig?

14. FlyEaglesFly - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:23 PM

I’m with Chris. I’m tired of anonymous GM/executives/scouts. If they aren’t willing to ton on record then don’t print it. How do we know it’s not Buster just writing what he thinks?
    BTW, I just talked to an anonymous executive and he told me he thinks the Braves suck and will collapse Metropolitan-style in Aug/Sept.

15. gmc173 - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:35 PM

The numbers on Werth do not tell the whole truth. He was batting mid .300 earlier in the year, and not down to mid .200 means he has been really cold of late. Also he has the 2nd lowest BA w RISP, I think it is low around .150-/175. I would miss the right handed bat but adding another SP in Roy would be a good call for not just this year but next. Of course this wouldnt be a problem is some guy with a 3 letter last name was still on the team.

16. Jonny5 - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:39 PM

Look, these guys are just giving us rumor details which most of us want to hear. Would you rather hear nothing? No trade rumors? If you don’t like it stay off baseball blogs, it’s really quite that simple.

17. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Jonny, it’s one thing to say the Phillies and Astros are talking about a trade. It’s another thing altogether to say “This pussy GM says the Phillies offense sucks and they should be looking into getting another hitter.” Make the guy put his name on the story, or don’t post it Buster. That’s all I’m saying. If the GM had said “Ruben called us looking for pitching, but we didn’t have anything” then it is perfectly OK to say “I spoke to a GM around the league who said that the Phillies are looking for pitching.” But don’t give the OPINIONS of “anonymous” GM’s who are pussies!!!!!

18. Jonny5 - Jul 21, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I get what you’re saying, I know it can be frustrating at times as well. But you get the good and bad with these guys. Anytime you feel you’ll lose it over any unnamed sources, just recite the theme to the “facts of life” in your head until it goes away. Make sure you only sing it in your head though. You never, ever want to get caught singing that song.

19. Chris Fiorentino - Jul 21, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Recently, Buster has been on the crusade to expose GM vs. GM hate, which to me is totally unnecessary and not really rumor. I mean, really, was it necessary to post that an ANONYMOUS executive had this to say “They’ve got real holes over there, and I know they need a starting pitcher, but I think their lineup is as much of a problem now. If they got two Roy Oswalts, I’m not sure it would make a difference.”??? What is the necessity in posting that? To let people know he knows executives around the league? We already know that, Buster. To be honest, who really cares what an anonymous GM thinks about the Phillies looking for pitching?
    Like I said…if it were something constructive, like this GM called asking about pitching or this GM is looking into acquiring a hitter…then sure, it is a rumor worth reporting. But to just allow a rival executive, who may be from a team who hates the Phillies and are just jealous because they got their asses kicked the last two years, like…ahem…the Dodgers, who he also happens to write about, makes it seem like Buster is just a lapdog and I think he is better than that.

20. Utley's hair - Jul 21, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Damn, man. Lay down the coffee cup and walk away slowly.

Who cares what an “anonymous” executive has to say about what thae same executive feels the Phightins need? He’s probably just lashing out because he wants Oswalt and the Phils have the inside track, what with Eddie’s propensity to get players to change from the red pinstripes to brick red and black. Haven’t the Wankers been looking at Oswalt? Maybe it’s Cashman throwing a hissy fit that he can’t buy another arm after his credit card was declined or his check bounced with the Lee deal.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3306)