Jul 21, 2010, 12:14 PM EST
Buster Olney quotes an anonymous executive on all the Roy-Oswalt-to-the-Phillies hype:
“They’ve got real holes over there, and I know they need a starting
pitcher, but I think their lineup is as much of a
problem now. If they got two Roy
Oswalts, I’m not sure it would make a difference.”
Ouch. I mean, I hate on the Phillies a lot, but I don’t even think it’s quite that bad.
The most annoying thing about all of this for Phillies fans is that at some point they’re going to get Chase Utley back and at some point things are going to start breaking right for them. When that happens, they’re going to look like one of those NFL teams that “no one wants to play” late in the season but that isn’t going to make the playoffs because this slide has been so bad. And because the Braves keep winning two of three like clockwork, but that’s not going to continue forever either.
Like I said this morning, the primary motivator around Philly right now seems to be panic. That rarely leads to good decisions. My gut tells me that, rather than ship off Jayson Werth and bring in Roy Oswalt, Philadelphia would be better served by trying to weather the current storm as best they can, wait for Werth to bounce back and try to patch their pitching holes with some spackle that is less expensive than Oswalt.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)