Jul 21, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
Buster Olney quotes an anonymous executive on all the Roy-Oswalt-to-the-Phillies hype:
“They’ve got real holes over there, and I know they need a starting
pitcher, but I think their lineup is as much of a
problem now. If they got two Roy
Oswalts, I’m not sure it would make a difference.”
Ouch. I mean, I hate on the Phillies a lot, but I don’t even think it’s quite that bad.
The most annoying thing about all of this for Phillies fans is that at some point they’re going to get Chase Utley back and at some point things are going to start breaking right for them. When that happens, they’re going to look like one of those NFL teams that “no one wants to play” late in the season but that isn’t going to make the playoffs because this slide has been so bad. And because the Braves keep winning two of three like clockwork, but that’s not going to continue forever either.
Like I said this morning, the primary motivator around Philly right now seems to be panic. That rarely leads to good decisions. My gut tells me that, rather than ship off Jayson Werth and bring in Roy Oswalt, Philadelphia would be better served by trying to weather the current storm as best they can, wait for Werth to bounce back and try to patch their pitching holes with some spackle that is less expensive than Oswalt.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)