Jul 21, 2010, 12:14 PM EDT
Buster Olney quotes an anonymous executive on all the Roy-Oswalt-to-the-Phillies hype:
“They’ve got real holes over there, and I know they need a starting
pitcher, but I think their lineup is as much of a
problem now. If they got two Roy
Oswalts, I’m not sure it would make a difference.”
Ouch. I mean, I hate on the Phillies a lot, but I don’t even think it’s quite that bad.
The most annoying thing about all of this for Phillies fans is that at some point they’re going to get Chase Utley back and at some point things are going to start breaking right for them. When that happens, they’re going to look like one of those NFL teams that “no one wants to play” late in the season but that isn’t going to make the playoffs because this slide has been so bad. And because the Braves keep winning two of three like clockwork, but that’s not going to continue forever either.
Like I said this morning, the primary motivator around Philly right now seems to be panic. That rarely leads to good decisions. My gut tells me that, rather than ship off Jayson Werth and bring in Roy Oswalt, Philadelphia would be better served by trying to weather the current storm as best they can, wait for Werth to bounce back and try to patch their pitching holes with some spackle that is less expensive than Oswalt.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)