Jul 21, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
I love stuff like this: Astros’ rookie Chris Johnson hit his first major league home run on Monday. He subsequently became the victim of a prank:
He was originally given a ball he was told was the home run ball.
“They wrote all over it, I mean just destroyed it,” he said. “I
was like, ‘Really? Come on…'”
The ball was a fake.
“After the game, Roy (Oswalt) told me he had the real one,” said
I have no idea if this is true or not, but someone from Texas who claims to know the scoop emailed me to tell me that the fake ball was covered with just the foulest stuff, including illustrations of the male anatomy and whatnot.
I desperately want that to be true because I’d like to think that something as minor as a nightmare season for the Astros can in no way disrupt some good old fashioned locker room humor.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 49
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)