Jul 21, 2010, 10:16 AM EDT
The losses are bad enough — New York has dropped nine of twelve games and have gone from a half-game down on June 27th to 6.5 down as of this morning — but now the clubhouse is starting to get ugly:
Alex Cora is mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.
The veteran utilityman, miffed by the laughter inside the Mets’ clubhouse after last night’s 3-2 loss to the Diamondbacks, fired venom in the direction of Mike Pelfrey and reporters who were joking at the pitcher’s locker.
Cora spouted an expletive in Spanish and raised his voice in the direction of Pelfrey and re porters as he de parted the clubhouse at Chase Field.
“A little respect, please!” Cora snapped. “They stuck it up our [butts].”
I imagine that, in light of this little outburst, people will start saying that the Mets’ chemistry was somehow disrupted recently, be it because Carlos Beltran came back or Oliver Perez is hanging around or Jeff Francoeur was benched or whatever. Don’t buy it.
Cora’s little outburst is about a team that probably only figured to be .500 to begin with crashing back to Earth, not about some disruption in The Force or bad eggs or anything else. It’s textbook “only winning teams have good chemistry” stuff, and it wouldn’t be rearing its head right now if the team were still winning.
Pelfrey’s laughter isn’t the problem. It’s his dead arm. Bad chemistry isn’t hurting this team. Bad play is. It’s that simple.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 0
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 3
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)