Jul 21, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
He’s not Ted Lilly, Prince Fielder or some holy man who will come in and cure all that ails the Mets’ unhappy clubhouse, but hey, he’s a bullpen arm: the Mets are signing Chad Cordero.
Cordero is coming off labrum surgery a couple of years ago and he was let go by the Mariners. Such facts aren’t generally considered a relief pitcher’s seal of approval. Still, the guy had a pretty healthy strikeout rate in AAA this year, he’s a better option than paying for some ineffective closer like Kevin Gregg, Kerry Wood or Chad Qualls and — perhaps most importantly — it keeps yet another former Montreal Expo in the big leagues, and that’s pretty important to a weird guy like me.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)