Jul 21, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
He’s not Ted Lilly, Prince Fielder or some holy man who will come in and cure all that ails the Mets’ unhappy clubhouse, but hey, he’s a bullpen arm: the Mets are signing Chad Cordero.
Cordero is coming off labrum surgery a couple of years ago and he was let go by the Mariners. Such facts aren’t generally considered a relief pitcher’s seal of approval. Still, the guy had a pretty healthy strikeout rate in AAA this year, he’s a better option than paying for some ineffective closer like Kevin Gregg, Kerry Wood or Chad Qualls and — perhaps most importantly — it keeps yet another former Montreal Expo in the big leagues, and that’s pretty important to a weird guy like me.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 47
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)