Jul 21, 2010, 1:13 PM EST
He’s not Ted Lilly, Prince Fielder or some holy man who will come in and cure all that ails the Mets’ unhappy clubhouse, but hey, he’s a bullpen arm: the Mets are signing Chad Cordero.
Cordero is coming off labrum surgery a couple of years ago and he was let go by the Mariners. Such facts aren’t generally considered a relief pitcher’s seal of approval. Still, the guy had a pretty healthy strikeout rate in AAA this year, he’s a better option than paying for some ineffective closer like Kevin Gregg, Kerry Wood or Chad Qualls and — perhaps most importantly — it keeps yet another former Montreal Expo in the big leagues, and that’s pretty important to a weird guy like me.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (252)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)