Jul 21, 2010, 1:13 PM EDT
He’s not Ted Lilly, Prince Fielder or some holy man who will come in and cure all that ails the Mets’ unhappy clubhouse, but hey, he’s a bullpen arm: the Mets are signing Chad Cordero.
Cordero is coming off labrum surgery a couple of years ago and he was let go by the Mariners. Such facts aren’t generally considered a relief pitcher’s seal of approval. Still, the guy had a pretty healthy strikeout rate in AAA this year, he’s a better option than paying for some ineffective closer like Kevin Gregg, Kerry Wood or Chad Qualls and — perhaps most importantly — it keeps yet another former Montreal Expo in the big leagues, and that’s pretty important to a weird guy like me.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)