Jul 21, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
I don’t know if this says more about the White Sox’ actual interests or if it simply says more about the colorful manner in which White Sox sources talk to reporters, but today — one day after the Sox were said to be “trying desperately” to get Adam Dunn — they are reported to be “trying to accelerate talks” for Prince Fielder. Tune in tomorrow to see if they’re “striving valiantly” for Lance Berkman.
Earlier reports had White Sox people saying that they didn’t think Prince Fielder was a good fit for the organization and all of that. Hard to say what that even means, because there aren’t a ton of teams that couldn’t do with his production in the midst of a playoff drive. Maybe it’s just that they felt that it would be easier to stick Adam Dunn at DH whereas Fielder’s presence may create more political problems for Paul Konerko or something. Maybe it’s a function of their being unable to land Fielder without parting with Gordon Beckham, which they don’t want to do.
Or maybe this is just Kenny Williams being smart. He’s the most obvious buyer for big honkin’ DH/1B types right now, and if he can get both the Nats and Brewers thinking he’s talking to the other, the price of both Dunn and Fielder may go down.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)