Jul 21, 2010, 3:12 PM EDT
I don’t know if this says more about the White Sox’ actual interests or if it simply says more about the colorful manner in which White Sox sources talk to reporters, but today — one day after the Sox were said to be “trying desperately” to get Adam Dunn — they are reported to be “trying to accelerate talks” for Prince Fielder. Tune in tomorrow to see if they’re “striving valiantly” for Lance Berkman.
Earlier reports had White Sox people saying that they didn’t think Prince Fielder was a good fit for the organization and all of that. Hard to say what that even means, because there aren’t a ton of teams that couldn’t do with his production in the midst of a playoff drive. Maybe it’s just that they felt that it would be easier to stick Adam Dunn at DH whereas Fielder’s presence may create more political problems for Paul Konerko or something. Maybe it’s a function of their being unable to land Fielder without parting with Gordon Beckham, which they don’t want to do.
Or maybe this is just Kenny Williams being smart. He’s the most obvious buyer for big honkin’ DH/1B types right now, and if he can get both the Nats and Brewers thinking he’s talking to the other, the price of both Dunn and Fielder may go down.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)