Jul 21, 2010, 3:12 PM EST
I don’t know if this says more about the White Sox’ actual interests or if it simply says more about the colorful manner in which White Sox sources talk to reporters, but today — one day after the Sox were said to be “trying desperately” to get Adam Dunn — they are reported to be “trying to accelerate talks” for Prince Fielder. Tune in tomorrow to see if they’re “striving valiantly” for Lance Berkman.
Earlier reports had White Sox people saying that they didn’t think Prince Fielder was a good fit for the organization and all of that. Hard to say what that even means, because there aren’t a ton of teams that couldn’t do with his production in the midst of a playoff drive. Maybe it’s just that they felt that it would be easier to stick Adam Dunn at DH whereas Fielder’s presence may create more political problems for Paul Konerko or something. Maybe it’s a function of their being unable to land Fielder without parting with Gordon Beckham, which they don’t want to do.
Or maybe this is just Kenny Williams being smart. He’s the most obvious buyer for big honkin’ DH/1B types right now, and if he can get both the Nats and Brewers thinking he’s talking to the other, the price of both Dunn and Fielder may go down.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 63
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 30
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 20
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)