Jul 21, 2010, 9:51 PM EST
Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann has been out of commission since undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on August 19 of last season. It was a major blow to the Nats when the surgery was recommended and they’ve struggled through a tough 2010 season, but things may be looking up.
Zimmermann, 24, began a minor league rehab assignment about two weeks ago and the results so far have been excellent. He fanned four batters over four scoreless innings on Wednesday in a rehab start with Single-A Potomac, according to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, and he has now racked up 13 strikeouts against zero walks over 13 shutout frames.
“My arm felt great today,” he said Wednesday. “The control has always been there
for me, but I figured after surgery, I wouldn’t have the control that I
used to have. I think we are pretty much there right now.”
He could probably make it back to the big leagues by mid-August, or even early August, but that’s not really the issue. What’s important is that the Nats, with Stephen Strasburg and the re-emerging Zimmermann, will have quite an intimidating one-two punch at the top of their starting rotation for a long time to come.
Washington currently sits 15.5 games back of the Braves in the National League East.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)