Jul 21, 2010, 9:51 PM EST
Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann has been out of commission since undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on August 19 of last season. It was a major blow to the Nats when the surgery was recommended and they’ve struggled through a tough 2010 season, but things may be looking up.
Zimmermann, 24, began a minor league rehab assignment about two weeks ago and the results so far have been excellent. He fanned four batters over four scoreless innings on Wednesday in a rehab start with Single-A Potomac, according to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, and he has now racked up 13 strikeouts against zero walks over 13 shutout frames.
“My arm felt great today,” he said Wednesday. “The control has always been there
for me, but I figured after surgery, I wouldn’t have the control that I
used to have. I think we are pretty much there right now.”
He could probably make it back to the big leagues by mid-August, or even early August, but that’s not really the issue. What’s important is that the Nats, with Stephen Strasburg and the re-emerging Zimmermann, will have quite an intimidating one-two punch at the top of their starting rotation for a long time to come.
Washington currently sits 15.5 games back of the Braves in the National League East.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)