Jul 21, 2010, 9:51 PM EDT
Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann has been out of commission since undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on August 19 of last season. It was a major blow to the Nats when the surgery was recommended and they’ve struggled through a tough 2010 season, but things may be looking up.
Zimmermann, 24, began a minor league rehab assignment about two weeks ago and the results so far have been excellent. He fanned four batters over four scoreless innings on Wednesday in a rehab start with Single-A Potomac, according to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, and he has now racked up 13 strikeouts against zero walks over 13 shutout frames.
“My arm felt great today,” he said Wednesday. “The control has always been there
for me, but I figured after surgery, I wouldn’t have the control that I
used to have. I think we are pretty much there right now.”
He could probably make it back to the big leagues by mid-August, or even early August, but that’s not really the issue. What’s important is that the Nats, with Stephen Strasburg and the re-emerging Zimmermann, will have quite an intimidating one-two punch at the top of their starting rotation for a long time to come.
Washington currently sits 15.5 games back of the Braves in the National League East.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)