Jul 21, 2010, 9:51 PM EST
Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann has been out of commission since undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery on August 19 of last season. It was a major blow to the Nats when the surgery was recommended and they’ve struggled through a tough 2010 season, but things may be looking up.
Zimmermann, 24, began a minor league rehab assignment about two weeks ago and the results so far have been excellent. He fanned four batters over four scoreless innings on Wednesday in a rehab start with Single-A Potomac, according to MLB.com’s Bill Ladson, and he has now racked up 13 strikeouts against zero walks over 13 shutout frames.
“My arm felt great today,” he said Wednesday. “The control has always been there
for me, but I figured after surgery, I wouldn’t have the control that I
used to have. I think we are pretty much there right now.”
He could probably make it back to the big leagues by mid-August, or even early August, but that’s not really the issue. What’s important is that the Nats, with Stephen Strasburg and the re-emerging Zimmermann, will have quite an intimidating one-two punch at the top of their starting rotation for a long time to come.
Washington currently sits 15.5 games back of the Braves in the National League East.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)